Craig Nybo (Author of Allied Zombies for Peace)'s Reviews > I Am Not a Serial Killer

I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

20872684
Jun 17, 2016

Why on Earth did I wait so long to read the John Cleaver series?
That is the question I have to ask myself after finishing Dan Wells's I Am Not a Serial Killer.

When it comes to beautiful prose and expert story telling, Wells can check both items off the list. This book terrifies in the all of the best ways. John Cleaver, a young man with a problem--no conscience to be exact--struggles internally with his sociopathic tendencies. This character has no moral compass. But he does have a desire to do, as he perceives it, what others think of as "right." He sets a stringent set of rules to help him from drifting into the darkness of anti-social behavior. He lives right on the edge of caving into a base desire to kill.

Interestingly, I found John Cleaver's rules and internal struggle quite inspiring. Most of us set rules in our minds, some of them difficult to follow, to keep us from doing things that will harm ourselves and others. The fact that I found some inspiration in this character is a testament of Dan Wells's research of the human psyche.

But don't forget. This novel is a psychological thriller with plenty of chills and suspense. Do not miss this novel. My copy of Mr. Monster, the second book in the series arrived just yesterday. I can't wait to go back to the world of John Cleaver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not a Serial Killer.

Started Reading