Carol's Reviews > Turn of Mind

May 10, 2011

liked it
Recommended to Carol by: netgalley
Recommended for: medical novels, fans of Lisa Genova

Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante may just be the talk of the summer. I read it in one sitting, it was that riveting. Sixty-four year old Dr. Jennifer White retires from her orthopedic practice when she discovers she has early on-set Alzheimer’s. When her old friend is found murdered with mutilated hands and missing fingers, Dr. White becomes a prime suspect. What could be a run of the mill murder mystery becomes a complicated story of a woman experiencing rapid dementia and declining memory. I can only liken it to experiencing a horrible nightmare over and over as we follow Dr. White’s thought process in this first person narrative. The story goes backward, forward and round and round in an attempt to give us the whole picture; yet in a voice that so confused that sometimes we feel our own memory is failing us. With a deceased husband, two children and a caretaker also on board, Dr White’s story is fleshed out and we eventually understand what happened.

I fear that calling Turn of Mind a mystery may lose some readers and what a loss this would be. If you were able to read Still Alice by Lisa Genova, frightening as the topic of Alzheimer’s can be, then don’t miss Turn of Mind. Disturbing but thought provoking, it’s a different take on the topic of dementia and its many manifestations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn of Mind.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Glad you mentioned readers not reading this because of the "mystery" designation. I've been debating if I should include it in my BEA presentation but decided I will, just because I think it's worth recommending.

Stephanie I am curious why you gave it only 3 stars? I gave it 4 out of 5 because I didn't love the ending. I agree completely with the rest of your review.

Carol I loathe the stars...some days I'd give this book a three, the next a four. It's a feeling. I liked the story, found some loose ends, and enjoyed Still Alice more than this. 3 solid stars = I liked it but wasn't blown away. Leaves room for the next by this author. Hard to describe but it all comes from the gut!

Stephanie Carol wrote: "I loathe the stars...some days I'd give this book a three, the next a four. It's a feeling. I liked the story, found some loose ends, and enjoyed Still Alice more than this. 3 solid stars = I liked..."

Haha! I know exactly what you mean. I feel like we need a lot more stars, or some sort of way to add nuance (colors?). I go back and change my stars periodically, sort of weighing the books against each other overall.

Carol Oh, I've never done that (changed the stars) but that's not a bad idea!

message 4: by Bas (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bas I enjoyed Still Alice so much more...the character felt much more real to me...

Carol Bas wrote: "I enjoyed Still Alice so much more...the character felt much more real to me..."

Still Alice was very special, a book that stays with you.

Lorraine Thanks Carol - you captured the good work that I saw in the book... I totally agree that a book rating can be challenge - wish we could give a 3.5.

Carol Lorraine wrote: "Thanks Carol - you captured the good work that I saw in the book... I totally agree that a book rating can be challenge - wish we could give a 3.5."

Thank you Lorraine. I can find something good in most books.