Eric's Reviews > The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

There is something that happens sometimes when reading a really great book. When all your emotions are put through its paces. EVERY ONE OF THEM. And it's not just that you're in it (Garden State anyone?), you can't get enough of it. If you're sitting there reading this and don't know what I'm talking about - I hope you will give this a chance. Actually scratch that, start with the first one, Saving Francesca, I was a mess during that and I thought it couldn't get any better. My how wrong I was. There are moments when the only text in the book reads "Silence." and it felt like my heart was was going to beat out of my chest. It was impossible to put this down. I don't know how Melina Marchetta does it but I'm moving all of her books to the top of my to read list because there is no way I can ever get too much of her. I know this from the bottom of my heart, she is brilliant and I love her for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

Quotes Eric Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I’m scared I’m going to spend the rest of my life in a state of yearning, regardless of where I am.”

Melina Marchetta
“Back in Georgie's attic, he yanks the phone out of the socket and begins scrolling down the names under dialed calls, praying to anyone who will listen. God. Baby Jesus. Saint Thomas the doubter. Saint Whoever, patron saint of losers. Praying, Please, please, don't let it be true.

The first name shatters him.

The second makes his head spin.”

Melina Marchetta
“He knows bad days. Bad days take him completely by surprise. They make him not trust the good days because it's likely something is lurking twenty-four hours away.”

May 10, 2011 – Shelved
June 23, 2011 – Started Reading
June 23, 2011 –
page 1
0.3% "I continue my sadness. It almost mirrors my mood. 99 emails? Hmm that sounds easy. At least I wasn't a dickhead."
June 23, 2011 –
page 2
0.6% "How did that song go? Emotional Rollercoaster... :-)"
page 3
0.89% ""He's OCD," Tom says. "Don't be ridiculous. He's just a bit obsessive . . . in a compulsive sort of way.""
page 4
1.19% "I think I am in love with this book. I think if all of Marchetta's books are like this I don't know how I will ever fully enjoy anyone else :-) /// "Am I hard work?" she asks quietly. "Yes." Silence for a moment. "You could have hesitated in answering that.""
page 5
1.49% "oh how I loathe smoking but the scene where they're all sitting out front smocking a cigarette talking about the accordion player. One of the finest. I don't think anymore, I know I'm in love."
June 24, 2011 – Finished Reading