Aaron Bunce's Reviews > Resthaven

Resthaven by Erik Therme

Jun 16, 2016

bookshelves: to-read
Read 2 times. Last read June 16, 2016 to July 18, 2016.

My honest thoughts on Rest Haven, by Erik Therme.

Rest Haven is targeted at teens, that much is very clear. At its heart it is centered around a group of girls that decide to have a sleep over. It turns out, the sleep over is going to be a scavenger hunt in a creepy, abandoned nursing home. Uh, creepy. Knowing that, I was on board.

The writing is very concise and efficient, and the linear story moves along at a frantic pace. This is one of those books that is very easy to burn through in one or two sittings. The characters were hard for me to connect with, then again, I am not a teenage girl. I will relent that point.

Therme's writing is very professional, although I do believe that he waters the writing down just a tad too much. Then again, I consider the age of his target readers and consider this a necessary evil. In the end, Rest Haven is a well rounded, slightly suspenseful offering that will no doubt draw in the pre-teen, teen, and young adult crowd. For me, I needed a touch more fright in the mix. Perhaps more atmosphere and jumps. But that's just personal preference. In the end, I would highly recommend it, and will undoubtedly pass it along to my own daughters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resthaven.

April 25, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2016 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2016 – Started Reading
70.0% (Kindle Edition)
July 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 20, 2016 –
70.0% (Kindle Edition)
July 20, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)