Ruth's Reviews > Harvest Festival

Harvest Festival by Karl Drinkwater

‘Harvest Festival’ is a sci-fi, horror set in the Welsh countryside. The story follows a farmer and his family as they suffer through an ordeal reminiscent of a Dalek invasion from Doctor Who, only, far worse. Stuck on a farm isolated from the village, huge risks must be taken for Callum and his family to survive.

I find myself mostly invested in characters when it comes to reading a novel. Empathy was mainly directed towards Callum as we read from his point of view. Fortunately, he is likeable and well written along with the other characters portrayed. Despite this being a novella, there are noticeable changes that appear in the family dynamics and in character development.

Drinkwater displays competent skills in creating characters and story along with crafting his writing. Short sentences are appropriately used, adding tension and speed to the family’s survival. Description was used well throughout with more at the beginning as expected so an understanding of Callum is formed.

It isn’t often that I’m able to read a book in one sitting so it was refreshing to be able to do so with this novella. As the story takes place in 24 hours I liked being able to read it all at once as it helps to bring the reader along with the journey. Due to the length of the novella you are able to quench your desire to know the fate of characters without having to deprive yourself of sleep or food.

I enjoy the style of writing which is different to the books I normally find myself attracted to. I believe that Drinkwater has potential to write books that are better (he may have already!) but ‘Harvest Festival’ was a good read and something for the author to be proud of.

Review copy sent from the Author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvest Festival.

Started Reading