Toni's Reviews > Men and Dogs

F 50x66
May 10, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

First of all, I am not good at this star system -I need decimal points because all of my 3's are not equal. Even though I rushed through thiis book because I needed to see how it was resolved it is a pure 3 no plusses.It is basically about how Hannah and her brother ,Palmer, are affected by their dad's death when Hannah was 11 and Palmer 13. Did he leave or did he die -there was a funeral. They are now in their 30's. Despite what other reviewers have said, I do not find Hannah likable. Yes ,she is screwed up and yes she is her own worst enemy and yes she is "faithful" to her Dad's memory but nothing else. I am sick of women or men using their parents disappearance, death, bad habits as excuses for infidelity. "I love him so much , I want to be with him forever, He is my soulmate but I was afraid and had to cheat on him- it was just sex." -oh,is that love. You do not love anyone.I liked Palmer so much better.Yes he has issues due to his dad but they are believable,at least to me. Is he selfish also?Yes somewhat but I find in him a possibility of growth.Not so in Hannah, I am glad that she came to some realizations by the end of the book however I saw no reason to believe that she had changed. It was too abrupt and not enough to convince me that she was not still a sniveling, weak, selfish,excuse -ridden child. Her husband tried, her therapist tried, her family and friends tried. She wants what she wants and when she wants it and because she can't have what she really wanted which was her father back, she took what she wanted repeatedly and says "sorry, but my dad left me when I was 11" There is a lot of language in the book and if that bothers you ,do not read it-it adds little if nothing to the context of the story. otherwise ,it is well written in that you feel you know the characters and you do want to know what happens to most of them. It has a faithful dog or two in it- that always makes me smile.It takes place primarily in Charleston,SC- like that. The story has a lot for discussion and room for debate. BUt I do feel, that even though the writing of the ending was well done - it all was too sudden of change for us to believe it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men and Dogs.