Leah's Reviews > Mr. Darcy's Diary

19293522
Jun 16, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Ah, well, what can you say about writing that tries to bring us deeper into Jane Austen's world of P&P? Firstly, you cannot resist such an idea, to peer into Mr Darcy's secret thoughts, and on the other hand you'll know it falls short, because who truly can imitate an Austen masterpiece? I have not found such a one.

And yet, I was endeared and delighted with another immersion into the world of P&P! thank you Amanda Grange for entertaining me. I enjoyed the faithful timeline sticking to the original book, as it should. Though you will have some crying, "I can't believe she used quotations verbatim from P&P" and others crying, "Have you no creativity at all?!" But how can you do a spin off an original and change anything without people either getting angry or angry? You can't, it's a lose lose situation. The diary aspect is clever. Although she wavers to and fro between a present tense diary as if it is currently happening and a past tense reflection of sorts. She certainly says "satirically" and "archly" a few too many times.

Characters I loved what she did with: Colonel Fitzwilliam, and the clever conversation where he chided Mr. Darcy over his first proposal, "You said what to her?!" I also liked that she redeemed the dreaded betrothed cousin Anne, that she really is more likable in Granges light, has more of a mind of her own than you thought possible, though you wonder who she is in love with?

Characters I did not like what she did with: mostly Mr. Bingley. I mean everyone LOVES Bingley! How can you go and paint him as a silly, empty-headed, sometimes foolish, rash, and over all petty little boy who needs looking after? On the one hand, this is written through Darcy's eyes, but I cannot think Mr Darcy that uncharitable toward a man who is supposed to be his best friend. No I cannot tolerate it. She did an injustice toward this friendship. Also, Mr Darcy is so much more of a jerk in his own thoughts than I thought possible. Though I couldn't resist reading it all, I did not much love this version of Mr Darcy *big sigh*.

Was it worth reading? If you are hopelessly bewitched with all things Jane Austen (and prefer a clean and safe book to read) yes, a thousand times yes!-as it gives another (albeit falling short) chance to relive one of the most timeless romance stories of all times.

And as an additional thought, I feel Amanda Grange did a far superior job writing "Mr Knightley's Diaries". *edit to add* actually, I ant remember if I actually read her version of Knightley's diary, but I did read Barbara Cornwaithes and enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy's Diary.

June 16, 2016 – Started Reading