Angel Gelique's Reviews > 'Cause She's a Good Girl

'Cause She's a Good Girl by Groovy Lee

bookshelves: abusive-childhood, serial-killers, suspense

I won a copy of this book through an Amazon giveaway and was excited to give it a try. First, let me just say that the cover does not match the story. I was expecting more of a psychological thriller/dark romance type of book. I think I would classify it more as a mystery/thriller novel. Whatever the classification, I'm happy to report that I truly enjoyed the story.

Teenager Piper Banion comes from a single-parent home with an abusive mother. After she notifies the authorities about a terrible crime her mother, Connie, has committed, she is hailed a hero but soon flees her hometown in search of anonymity.

Five years later, Piper is living with her good friend Shelly when she she learns that Connie has been released from prison for good behavior. Having little doubt that her mother would still be seething with rage, Piper accepts Shelly's invitation to head to her hometown in California.

It turns out that Shelly is from an affluent family and has a five-year-old daughter, whom she left in the care of her parents. Piper is welcomed into the family home with open arms and begins to bond with Shelly's family members, including her Prince-lookalike cousin, nicknamed Oz.

Though in sunny California now, things aren't as picture-perfect as it seems. A serial killer is on the loose in the area. Then Piper starts receiving strange phone calls. Is there a connection? Soon Piper suspects that she may know the identity of the killer. But that knowledge may very well endanger her life....

The story is well-paced and very entertaining, though to be honest, I wish that the author didn't reveal who the killer was so soon. It would have been better to keep readers guessing, in my opinion.

The one issue I have about this book is that within numerous spots throughout the story, the writing switches from past to present tense with the interjection of a narrative voice. I thought it disrupted the natural flow of the story (though not enough to render it unenjoyable).

The characters are realistic and relatable, each with their share of strengths and weaknesses. I especially liked Piper. The ending brought everything together nicely and, though bittersweet, it was good and satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Cause She's a Good Girl.

June 16, 2016 – Started Reading
June 16, 2016 – Shelved
June 16, 2016 –
8.0% "Just won this book in a giveaway!"
June 29, 2016 –