Rikki's Reviews > The Secret of High Eldersham

The Secret of High Eldersham by Miles Burton

Jun 16, 2016

bookshelves: fiction, blcc, mystery

Highly entertaining! The setting is as good as it can possibly be. A secluded village in East Anglia with inhabitants that are more than odd, the through roads are little more than country paths and basically no stranger has ever reason to set foot into it. Strangely enough no vicar this time, but who needs one when you have a cult leader making up for that lack of cleric support?

I liked the characters, Desmond Merrion and his sidekick Newport are very promising. I am not sure if Inspector Young is in the following novels as well but I wouldn't mind. Those two work well together.

The occult angle is explained in a satisfactory way and I found the atmosphere dealing with that part of the story really exciting. The first mention of the wax doll was already doing its job but when it came to Desmond spying on the coven at night I was devouring the pages. Thank God that the leader didn't turn out to be mad (something I was afraid of), but his strange disposition was explained in a credible way.

All in all a very good read that made the time just fly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of High Eldersham.

June 16, 2016 – Started Reading
June 16, 2016 – Shelved
June 17, 2016 –
page 45
16.25% "Is there some voodoo involved?"
June 18, 2016 –
page 75
27.08% "Of course. Wax doll = witchcraft."
June 19, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction