Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Midnight Riot

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

5 Silver Stars as opposed to Gold star....see the comments.

Another hard to rate book in that I can't really say I like it as much as my favorite books...but it it deserves more than 4 stars. So...5 stars, but not quite the top of my 5 star rating (?).

This is an urban fantasy, a genre that's become so chock full lately that you can't swing a kobold without hitting a new one. Most are(sadly) of the mediocre vein but every now and then you stumble on (or as in this case are directed by a friend on Goodreads) a gem.

Peter Grant is a young man just finishing up his probationary period on the Metro police of London and about to become a full fledged Constable (complete with helmet thank you). However, the night before his final interview he's one of a large number of police personal involved in controlling the area around a strange murder...and in the "wee hours of the morning" (of course) he's approached by a witness, who's a ghost. Predictably enough Peter is somewhat reticent to report to his superiors that he has talked to a ghost who saw the murder. While it looks like he will be "condemned" to one of the more boring areas of police work, his interview not going exactly as he hoped Peter can't let the murder investigation (and the fact that he apparently talked to a ghost) go. Upon going back and waiting around till the nearby pub closed still hoping to meet his ghost a second time, Peter is approached by a man...who turns out to be a ranking inspector...and Peter tells hims he's looking for a ghost. Peter wonders what possessed him to admit this to an inspector and figures he's about to be pegged as a nut...until the next day when he finds that the inspector, Nightingale, is a wizard. He (quietly) handles supernatural and uncanny things that "come up" for the police. And he wants Peter to work for him....

Our story takes off from here.

Good book. And while I suppose comparisons with other urban fantasies must arise (I'd say especially with Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books) enjoy this for what it is, itself. While I freely admit that I came on it as I wait (impatiently) for the release of the next Dresden novel (as I'm a huge fan) this is a good book in its own right. While our protagonist is a bit of a wise guy with a quirky sense of humor I didn't find the character quite a well done or as likeable as Harry. He is though well constructed and saying I don't find the character to my liking quite as much as one of my favorite characters may be a bit unfair.

So...brain candy, total enjoyment reading. A well constructed story and the beginnings of a good magical world. The magic "system" and the background of the magic world it functions in are still very much only an outline, like a line drawing waiting for color to be added along with the shadings and shadows that will add depth. Still the lines are there and I hope all the rest will be added in the inevitable sequels. I've already ordered the next book, Moon Over Soho and I've seen that a third Whispers Under Ground is due out in Nov. All things remaining equal, I'll probably get that one to...

5 stars. Good book, enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Riot.

May 9, 2011 – Started Reading
May 9, 2011 – Shelved
Finished Reading
May 11, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Clouds This one has been looking at me from my bookshelves for months now and everyone tells me it's great... I doubt I can resist much longer...

Mike (the Paladin) I liked it, but I never moved on to the next. It's setting on my shelf looking at me. LOL

Lady of the Lake I so understand how you explain you like the book and it needs more than 4 stars but the 5 that you're giving it don't weigh as much as books that you would consider your favorite and have given 5 stars to in the past... I get that! There should be like GOLD SILVER AND BRONZE stars...so we can give our real loves gold rating stars and even if it's less than 5 gold stars may mean more then a bronze 5 star... LOL... I think I like that idea! Just hit me... So the way you explain it can be shown via the G/S/B colored stars... We all must drive them batty here on goodreads with wacky requests of how we want to be able to rate out books! They still haven't even come up with a half of a star rating so I won't hold my breath for the variation in colors! Hahaha

Mike (the Paladin) I know. "We've" gone on about a half star system or a 10 star system. Of course if they did I'd have to go back and update over 2000 books. That's a little daunting.

Mike (the Paladin) There I updated the review...maybe we can start a trend.

Lady of the Lake Lets do it! Makes sense to me! Hahahaha!!! Fabulous!

Mike (the Paladin) James Earl Jones voice I shall try to remember to use the system!

Darren This is one series that has really gotten better as it goes on. I liked this first one; the next two are better; and I liked the most recent one ("Broken Homes") was un-put-downable.

Lady of the Lake That's good to know Darren! I will be picking up the 2nd one in series this weekend.

message 10: by Abhisek (new) - added it

Abhisek Dash So tell me... What's the next best thing out there to Dresden Files?

Mike (the Paladin) In the Dresden Group we've argued about that a lot...LOL. It seems that a lot of people like Dresden who can't sgree on other books.

For my money the series with closest "feel" to the Dresden Files are Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. The first is Fated. Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka

Darren I agree about the Alex Verus books. They're really good!

message 13: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara Looks good. No audio? Surprising...

Mike (the Paladin) Audible has audios of all the Alex Verus books if that's what you were referring to.

Tim The Enchanter Jacka's series is very good in Audio but I have to say that Aaronovitch's is even better in audio.

message 16: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara Ah... for some reason my initial audio search was for "Rivers of London"... found Midnight Riot though! Wow... I started listening last night, (seems pretty good) and it's gonna take me a moment to switch gears.

I actually have to pay attention listening for a bit before I get absorbed into British lingo and accents. (But I did live there a year, so no problem), seems like a great narrator too!
Anyway, wasn't a good thing to start late last night before bed... too much "active" listening. I'll pick it up today!

message 18: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara Been VERY much enjoying btw! Also, (concerning the late night listening) I had my audio set to 1.25x speed... NOT necessary for this one. lol

message 19: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Aug 16, 2014 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike (the Paladin) I find that for night listening I should use books on CD...in case I fall asleep I don't have so much to re-listen to...

message 20: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara Ah, that's where the lovely "sleep timer" feature comes in handy. Bookmark, set timer to 30 min, and fall asleep.

Mike (the Paladin) I'm probably just too technologically challenged to find it on my MP3....

Melora I want to try these but I'm confused about which comes first. I bought Midnight Riot thinking it was first in the series, but now it looks as if I might have wanted to start with Rivers of London. Help! (Please)

Melora Oh, sorry. I finally got it. Same book, different titles in Britain and US. And a billion different covers, just to make things more confusing. But anyway, I have the first one so I'm set!