Garrett Jackson's Reviews > The Battle for God: A History of Fundamentalism

The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong

Sep 19, 2016

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand the conflict between secularists and fundamentalists in modern cultures. I loved this book. I underlined something on nearly every page. It provided a historical framework for the world, arguments and movements around me that I couldn't accurately describe previously. It gave meaning to the rift in the two nations or cultures that collide in American culture and politics. It demystified the anger, resentment, and fear that I see among conservative religious fundamentalists that I know and have met.

"If fundamentalists must evolve a more compassionate assessment of their enemies in order to be true to their religious traditions, secularists must also be more faithful to the benevolence, tolerance, and respect for humanity which characterizes modern culture at its best, and address themselves more empathetically to the fears, anxieties, and needs which so many of their fundamentalist neighbors experience but which no society can safely ignore."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle for God.

June 14, 2016 – Shelved
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 17, 2016 – Started Reading
July 17, 2016 –
page 144
30.0% "Middle of the book and I'm completely immersed. I haven't stopped thinking about this from the moment I started. This has illuminated so much to me about my own culture and others that I didn't have a historical or rational context for."
August 23, 2016 –