Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn's Reviews > The Lost Conspiracy

The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge

liked it
bookshelves: books-to-reread-before-buying, fantasy

3.5 stars. This one took me a while to get into, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The beginning felt like there were some patches of awkward info dumping, but then there'd be some riveting action to keep me sucked it. There was a bit of a slow patch in the middle that ALMOST kept me bogged down, but I pushed through to the exciting end. I feel like this will be a book I'll need to re-read to really appreciate.

The tone of this book is unique. The Lost are people born with the unusual gift of being able to send their five senses out of their body to other parts of the land. Because of this, the Lost tend to be highly valued because they can go check out what whether is going to be coming soon, what's happening with other people, etc. Then you've got your native people, the Lace, who only have one Lost among their numbers...a young girl named Arilou who apparently spends so much time outside of her own body that she appears to be barely conscious. Her sister, Hathin, "translates" her garbled words for her....sort of. As it turns out, the Lace aren't really sure if Arilou is actually a Lost or just "an imbecile" (their term). It's a bit of a conspiracy among the Lace to make sure that none of the other people know that Arilou might not actually be Lost. The other group of people are descendants of invaders who came to this land after their own was taken over by the dead....they worship their ancestors, so to keep their ancestors happy they set aside plots of land to house their ancestors' urns, eventually taking over all of the land with burial plots, forcing them to emigrate to other areas. These two groups have mistrusted each other for decades, so there's plenty of unease for trouble makers to stir up....

Anyway, the setting and world building are pretty immersing once you get into the swing of things. The author's writing style is chock full of colorful imagery. The protagonist is supposed to be 12 years old, but she seems to act much older....maybe it's their culture? Like I said, in the beginning there seemed to be a bit of info dumping, and I wasn't really "feeling" the world building, but eventually it clicked into place and I devoured the last third or so of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Conspiracy.

May 9, 2011 – Shelved
May 24, 2015 – Started Reading
May 24, 2015 –
0.0% "I'll admit I'm pretty excited for this one. It's been on my to-read list for ages, and for once it's not a trilogy or series!"
May 26, 2015 –