Angela Dawn's Reviews > The Captain Takes a Wife: The Captain Chronicles, 1875

The Captain Takes a Wife by Doris Durbin

Jun 14, 2016

it was ok

If you like insta-love then you may like The Captain Takes a Wife. A clean historical romance about a war torn captain turned preacher and a young woman escaping from her groom on her wedding day. Sounds intriguing enough right? Well, as much as I like the plot and the way they met I didn't like how fast they fell in love. Their love really is instanteous! Running from dangerous men, Sarah Beth desperately pleads with Harry to pretend they're a couple. He kisses her and just like that they are in love.

I prefer reading romances where the love/romance builds over time. The hero and heroine learn to trust and care about each other throughout the novel. Usually there are conflicts between the two but they overcome and end up closer together because of it. In this novel it really didn't go into detail on any of those elements but that's just me.

Another thing that took me by surprise was how anticlimatic Harry and Sarah Beth took to the introduction of the other Harry. That could have been a point of conflict between the lovebirds. I felt like it was more like an afterthought.

I'm rating The Captain Takes a Wife a 2 out of 5 stars because the plot was good and the characters were promising but it was lackluster.

I received this eARC from Book Look Bloggers in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Captain Takes a Wife.

June 14, 2016 – Started Reading