Jacques Bottjer's Reviews > Psychotherapy

Psychotherapy by Maame Blue

Psychotherapy by Maame Blue

Psychotherapy is an intimate guided tour inside the mind of the author. However, what we learn on this journey, tells us more about ourselves than anybody else. This collection explores our mental states, relationships with others and our relationships with ourselves. Blue pulls no punches. She raises and confronts the demons we all see in the mirror ( As well as a few of the ones we pretend not to!) With a combination of dry wit, visceral emotion and brutal honesty, this is a frank collection that cuts to the core of what it means to be human.

Pieces such as "loneliness" and "if love was an ex" bring our feelings, fears and past lives into the spotlight. It allows them to stand naked in front of us and be scrutinized as if they were a living, breathing being. As the writer sheds light on her own experiences and reflections, we in turn analyze our own through her words.

"Supermarket Sweep" take a sideways, comic view at searching for relationships through modern technology and our desperate need to be loved in the increasingly isolated twenty first century. This is completely achieved while cutting deep into the core of what all humans have always wanted, long before the dawning of apps, social media and online dating.

The stand out piece in this book is "DeLay", where I feel Blue perfectly captures how numb we, as a species, appear to have grown to the world around us. Juxtaposed with an in depth analysis of her own thought process when receiving the news of a "person on the tracks" at a tube station, we see how those around us show little outward emotion or obvious response to death and tragedy in their day to day life. We are left asking ourselves about the internal monologues of passers by we see in the street. Are they numb? Or are they too, dealing with private hells and questioning how very acclimatized they have become to the increasingly crazy world they find themselves in? There is no time to mourn in battle, and perhaps work, commuting and the daily grind are a comparable experience to warfare! We keep on struggling because we must.

Struggle and strength are common themes throughout this body of work. We are introduced to a mind, continuously knocked back, self doubting, reflecting but most of all surviving. If you have lived a life where these themes are not relatable, I envy you. However, I imagine most will be able to put themselves in Blue's shoes, inhabit her words and see the parallels with their own life. I hope we can all join her in the triumphant final poem "Wheels" and see light and freedom at the end of that tunnel.

Psychotherapy is beautiful. It is a highly recommended read.

- Olmo Lazarus
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psychotherapy.

Finished Reading
June 14, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Maame Blue Thank you for your wonderful review.