Kristen's Reviews > Waiting for the Biblioburro

Waiting for the Biblioburro by Monica Brown

bookshelves: kids-books, spanish

What a cute book! We picked this up because it was on the latin themed challenge of the summer reading program we're participating in at our library. It's a story about a little girl who lives in a village where there are no books. Her teacher that got her to love stories moved away and no one filled her place. But then one day a man with two donkeys (burros) shows up to the village and reads to the kids and lets them pick out books. He's a moving library! He says he'll be back in a few weeks. The little girl reads her books quickly and is impatient waiting for the biblioburro to come back. So she sits down and writes her own story about the amazing biblioburro. When the man finally comes back, he reads her story to the kids and adds it to his collection.

The story is really great - all about how important learning and stories are. It shows all the magical places and adventures one has when they escape to read a story. And then strewn throughout the book are spanish words. Some are defined in the story, some are not. But at the end of the book there is a dictionary that tells you the translations. I like that it also shows a different culture; how they live, their clothes, etc. I really enjoyed this book. I think it's a great book to read to kids to get them introduced to the Spanish/Mexican culture and hearing spanish words.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for the Biblioburro.

June 13, 2016 – Started Reading