James's Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: 3-multi-book-series, 5-favorite-books, 1-fiction

5 stars to Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I chose to read this Christie spectacular after finishing "And There Were None." She's such a treasure - never disappoints.

A train. A murder. Multiple suspects. Nearly an alibi for everyone. But wait, there's a motive for everyone. How did this seemingly impossible murder occur? Hercule Poirot knows.

Well, I'm glad he did because I was stumped! But with good reason as this plot twist will have your knickers locked down (and not just in a bunch!).

The plot is just too delicious. The characters are just fascinating. No modern day electronics. No ability to research anything other than by asking questions. And Christie wrote this nearly 100 years ago. That's why it's a 5 for me -- it's pure good storytelling without anything in the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

Started Reading
January 1, 1993 – Finished Reading
June 14, 2016 – Shelved
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series
September 7, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-favorite-books
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell A classic and so is the movie with Albert Finney as Poirot. I am pretty sure I read the book first.

James Such drama - love her style

message 3: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell My Christie reading was sporadic. Read Mr. Parker Pyne, Detective but missed Roger Ackroyd...some mystery fan I was...sheesh.

Dawn Michelle I have not read Roger Ackroyd yet Gary - we are still mystery fans IMO. :-)

message 5: by Gary (last edited Mar 25, 2017 06:55PM) (new) - added it

Gary Sundell Dawn Michelle wrote: "I have not read Roger Ackroyd yet Gary - we are still mystery fans IMO. :-)"

Look I finally ready a Peter Wimsey novel finishing it today. I have played a character based on him in a community theatre production.
I also played Scotland Yard Inspectors in The Unexpected Guest and Witness for the Prosecution both by Christie. I am just bemused by the gaps in my reading at times.

James Gary wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I have not read Roger Ackroyd yet Gary - we are still mystery fans IMO. :-)"

Look I finally ready a Peter Wimsey novel finishing it today. I have played a character based in ..."

Happens to the best of us!

James You absolutely must read it!

Jill Hutchinson Agreed, James. It is one of her best books along with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review James!

James Jill wrote: "Agreed, James. It is one of her best books along with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."
I still need to read that one.

James Holly wrote: "Great review James!" Thx!

message 12: by Julio (new)

Julio Kind of undecided on whether I should read the book before watching the movie or not.

James Which version? I always got to read first so you can picture things on your own. Then watch it. Just me tho!

message 14: by R (new) - rated it 4 stars

R K OMG YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE TV SERIES. THE ENTIRE SHOW IS AMAZING BUT THIS EPISODE IS JUST FANTASTIC!

James R wrote: "OMG YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE TV SERIES. THE ENTIRE SHOW IS AMAZING BUT THIS EPISODE IS JUST FANTASTIC!"

Is it available now or have to buy from netflix / appletv?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My thoughts exactly. Definitely a masterpiece. Great review James! :)

James Thanks, Lua

message 18: by Baz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Baz M Great review - mirrors my thoughts too.
I just finished this bad boy last week (Death on the Nile is next). I love Cluedo and anything exotic and mysterious so this ticked all the boxes! I'm not sure I can watch the movie though... Johnny Depp and I don't see eye-to-eye haha.

James Baz wrote: "Great review - mirrors my thoughts too.

Ha! No Johnny for you? LOL Death on the Nile is great too!!!

message 20: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell Johnny Depp? I don't think he is involved in the new film version. I will take the original with Albert Finney as Poirot and an all star cast as the passengers. The musical score is equally top notch. I prefer Suchet as Poirot in most cases.

James Gary wrote: "Johnny Depp? I don't think he is involved in the new film version. I will take the original with Albert Finney as Poirot and an all star cast as the passengers. The musical score is equally top not..."

I wasn't aware of Depp either. I have to go look that up today. I agree with the original here.

message 22: by Tay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tay No need for me to write a review, you said it perfectly!

message 23: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell Yep Depp is indeed in the new movie.

James Thanks Tay!!

James I saw it a few weeks ago. Interesting. :)

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Hutchinson Great book, great film, great review, James.

James Thanks, Jill. I need to read another Christie soon!

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Hutchinson Have you ever read her Harley Quin short stories? They are less known than the rest of her work but I wish she had written more of them. Very different from her other characters of Poirot and Miss Marple.

James Jill wrote: "Have you ever read her Harley Quin short stories? They are less known than the rest of her work but I wish she had written more of them. Very different from her other characters of Poirot and Miss ..." I haven't yet. Is that Tommy and Tuppence? I could add one as an option in the poll for April to choose the Christie books I read.

message 30: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary Sundell Quinn is a completely different detective. Same is true of Parker
Pyne. Both Quinn and Pyne appear in short stories only. The Quinn and Pyne paperback collections were among the earliest Christie books I read.

James Thanks. I will give both a try then.

JanB I read the many years ago and re-reading it by listening to the audio - excellent! She is truly the master of the genre.

James JanB wrote: "I read the many years ago and re-reading it by listening to the audio - excellent! She is truly the master of the genre." I agree, there is something just comforting when you re-engage with her work.

message 34: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Steenrod Great review!! I really need to read this so I can go watch the film! Have you seen it yet?

James Danielle wrote: "Great review!! I really need to read this so I can go watch the film! Have you seen it yet?" I did. I watched the older ones in the past, then finally saw the new one the last weekend it was out. I liked it, but it didn't have the Christie charm. A few casting issues, too. But good tone.

Anthony Loved this book too! "And Then there were none." is also on the list

James Excellent choice.

message 38: by Jack (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jack At first I was excited to read this book, but after reading the beginning I wanted to know immediately who killed the American passenger named rachetti. I didn’t like it to read the whole book to discover who was the killer I would prefer it if we had information during the story and that we could have an idea about the killer. It was impossible to have an idea about the killer. I didn’t find the story realistic because the characters didn’t involve in the story .

James Jack, have you read Christie before, or was this your first one? It’s definitely a different way of telling the story. I love it but can also understand what you’re saying about the style.

message 40: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Caudill I love this story! Agatha Christie's work really is timeless!

Diana I totally agree with everything you say in this review, James!

James Thank you! One of the best!

message 43: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany Cho I mean, it's SO SO SO gratifying when you, the reader, solves the mystery before the story tells you!

message 44: by Arav (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arav I agree with you, this was a really good mystery book, and like you said: Agatha Christie never fails to write a good book.

James Love the convo!!! Definitely great author.

Carol Fillmore Agatha indeed does not disappoint!!!!