Jess's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

it was ok

A mystery set in Edinburgh, a bucket list city for me, in a bookshop with a young American from Kansas as our sleuth. What could go wrong?
For starters, it isn't easily lumped into the "cozy" mystery genre, in my opinion. It has a cute token small dog (every cozy mystery has some small animal involved), a batty older well meaning secondary woman, the benefactor characters for the main character, and its main character embarking on some sort of personal journey or quest. All of which are pretty standard "cozy" mystery elements, from what I've read. I struggled though with understanding how the sleuth, Delaney Nichols, seemed to take it upon herself to try to solve a murder in a foreign country she knows very little about. She didn't solve mysteries in Kansas nor have any personal history as an amateur sleuth. So why now all of a sudden is she insinuating herself into the murder of her new boss's sister? It really really didn't logically follow for me and kind of ruined it. The bit where her boss belongs to a secret club that allows the purchase of priceless items was far fetched in how it was presented. I feel that a lot of the plot was far fetched in its presentation and didn't really meld together in a flowing storyline. To sum it up, I found this to be a "lurching story". It would pick up, slow down, pick up slow down, and then just get some odd component that left you wondering what is going on. And not in a good, keep'em guessing mystery sort of way. This one seemed to lack the finesse of a cozy mystery.
So what genre of mystery do I categorize this one? I don't know. A trying to make it to cozy but ending up at fairly comfy? The author really had elements that would all be things I enjoy in a book. A lost Folio of Shakespeare could have really been explored a bit deeper, her work researching her boss's collection could have been explored a little deeper, and overall, perhaps not having so many secondary characters as "helpers" to Delaney could have made for a more cohesive storyline.
It's a cute book, don't get me wrong. But not a favorite. Which is a blooming shame because I was really looking forward to a story with a mystery, a bookshop, and a setting in Scotland.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

June 13, 2016 – Shelved
June 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2016 – Started Reading
July 21, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Planning to start this one today on my lunch hour. I love lunch with books."
July 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Barbara The detail that a copy of the First Folio was found in a wall in one of the haunted closes toured constantly was ridiculous.