Diana | Book of Secrets's Reviews > The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

liked it

3.5 Stars → Another ambiguous ending in this gothic fiction classic...

When a governess is hired to care for two children at a British country estate, she begins to sense an otherworldly presence around the grounds. Are they really ghosts she's seeing? Or is something far more sinister at work?

Has the governess succumbed to madness? (If so, why?) Or are there really malevolent spirits out to get her young charges? In the end, it's up to the reader to decide. I understand why authors do this, but sometimes it feels like a cop-out. Are there ghosts or not??

The writing was beautiful and descriptive, and there was definitely a strong creepy vibe throughout the story. I listened to this on audiobook, and Emma Thompson's performance was amazing. Very passionate and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turn of the Screw.

June 13, 2016 – Shelved
October 27, 2018 – Started Reading
November 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. No it isn't: there are details that make it clear there were spirits. I can't believe this has been a question since 1898. Maybe people weren't as adept at dissecting clues in earlier days.

Diana | Book of Secrets C. wrote: "No it isn't: there are details that make it clear there were spirits. I can't believe this has been a question since 1898. Maybe people weren't as adept at dissecting clues in earlier days."

Guess I’m one of those unadept readers... :-(

message 3: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. Eeek, not how I wanted it to come out! I was referring to the folks debating this in the 1900s but see what you mean. I apologize! Would clean up my phrasing if I could.

The governess had to have seen ghosts because she thought they were people from a distance and described them. The head house manager said no one else was on site, recognized the descriptions, and revealed that those former employees were not alive. You see what I mean, that it could not be imagination. The protagonist did not have spirits on the mind.