Ivy Deluca's Reviews > Body Shot

Body Shot by Kelly Jamieson

it was ok
bookshelves: _arc-reads, military-or-ex-military-heroes, nerdy-love

description
-Nerdy girl meets hot Navy SEAL plus alot of tequila: That sentence alone usually has me all in and was definitely what drew me to this book. Ms. Jamieson’s books have been hit or miss with me, but I’m ever the optimist so I wanted to really like this. The story has all the elements, but for a story about a biochemist, it’s lacking in some basic chemistry.

-Here’s the dealio: You have Hayden, the aforementioned hot but nerdy biochemist who’s searching for a cure for cancer. Then you have Beck, the neglected billionaire/hot Navy SEAL who just so happened to have opened up a restaurant/bar with his two besties, Marco and Cade called Conquistadors. They have a tequila tasting (the most detailed part of the story), Hayden and her bestie show up and Beck sees Hayden. Tequila is tasted, among other things and then your standard romance happens.

-It’s super low angsty: I’m all for a straightforward character-driven romance and it’s clear that this is the goal. There’s no big action sequences or secret plots. Nothing wrong with that. However, the characters then have to really shine to make that type of story work. Hayden and Beck never reached the type of depth necessary to carry this story. They really needed stronger personalities to make this work and unfortunately, both seemed sketched out.

-With lots o’ sex comes ….nah too easy: They hook up early and fairly frequently. It’s their main connection and with it comes alot of the “I don’t know why I’m doing this” kind of statements as they’re drawn together despite neither wanting anything serious. You know, the usual. I think that’s the problem.

-Needed a good kick to up the spice factor: Lots of sex does not a hot story make. I could believe in the attraction at first, but there was a lack of spark to make all those combustion references work. Neither were quite sure why they couldn’t stay away from each other and the story didn’t show enough to make it clear to me either.

description
It was just ok. It all felt very standard, like an equation that in theory should work, but in reality, when the pieces should create that magic that any good romance has, it just fizzles out.

**ARC provided by publisher via netgalley for review**

For more reviews, visit
description
description description description description description description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Body Shot.

June 13, 2016 – Shelved