Jennifer's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

May 08, 2011

liked it
Read in May, 2011

I don't really know how many stars to give this book. 3.5, maybe? I really like Kate Atkinson's writing, and I like the fact that her books don't fit neatly into a genre. This is a story that involves a cop who buys a child, another child who vanishes, several dead prostitutes, and a rescued dog. All of these pieces wind their way to a single conclusion. There are Big Questions, too -- like whether or not you can fully escape your own choices.

I have to say that I only started to enjoy this book at page 150 or so. I usually don't hang in there that long if I'm not into a novel. This one involves many characters, and I found myself confused much of the first quarter of the book. This novel also carries forward the story of Jackson Brodie, who is featured in several of Atkinson's other novels. I couldn't really remember the details of those other books, and it seemed as if that prior knowledge was necessary to understand this character and his portion of the story. But once I crossed that 150 page mark, I couldn't put the book down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.