Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Updated *Full Review* only minor spoilers..

Wowow.

Spoiler free initial thoughts..

1. Holy blazers this is the most in depth clever plot I've ever read.
2. Bless you, Leigh, bless you.
3. If you haven't read Grisha.. i highly recommend it.. because it will make this book that much more awesome. Not only is Grisha one of my ALL TIME favorite trilogies, but I absolutely adored this and the two series weave together SO well. Why? (view spoiler)

-----Spoilers Below------

I feel like I'm still coming off the high of this book. Honestly, I loved the first but this was LEAGUES better. I have no idea how Leigh plotted a story this in depth. I'm not even sure I fully comprehended all that happened because SO MUCH happens.

The plot was incredibly rich and fast paced. Such a wild ride. I was racing through because I was so worried about all my beloved characters.

The Cast

In the first book, I definitely had some feels for everyone but this took it to a new level. SO MUCH MORE is revealed about each of their pasts making them so much more complex this time around. As if they weren't before.

“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

KAZ YOU BLOODY MESS I LOVE YOU.
Inej my darling.. I have no words for your perfection.
Wylan? I LOVE YOUR FACE. Also, Wylan and Alina Starkov would be BFFS... just saying.
Jesper... bro I did not expect those levels of depth.
Nina needs to move in with me because I need a bff like her. Also (view spoiler)
Matthias, you really grew on me. I can't. I can't.

And I just need to dedicate an entire section of this review to my ALL TIME FAVORITE CHARACTER ON THIS EARTH........

NIKO.
King.
King Nikolai.
[Sturmhond.]
I literally shrieked... because his intro was THE BEST and I'm still over here like freaking out because THAT REALLY JUST HAPPENED. And no, it is NOT just a small little appearance. HOOOLY MOTHER HOLY MOTHER.

AND GENYA AND ZOYA AND TAMAR LWKEJGS:LDKFJS:LDKFJS:DLKFJS:LDFKJDS:LFJK.

Please guys, you are seriously missing out on so much if you haven't read the original trilogy. No you don't technically have to, but holy wow you are missing out.

The plot

Fan-freaking-tastic. I don't even know how else to describe it. I recommend savoring this instead of rushing through it like I did (out of worry for my darlings)- just absorb and enjoy. YES it is hella stressful but so cleverly done. Completely hysterical at times, even. I'll admit the pacing is a little nuts - but again, SO much happens.. just take it slow.

I was originally assuming the entirety of this book would be on getting Inej back, but boy oh boy was I wrong. This book picks up right after the first one ends. We dive right back in to where the characters left off - Kaz is in scheming mode and mad hysteria over Inez, of course. Nina is still suffering from Jurda Parem... and everyone is trying to figure out how to keep them calm and figure out a rational plan. To no surprise, so many things go wrong, and there are SO many surprises. Twists and turns around every bend. The situation with Kuwei and Jurda Parem obviously is threatening the entire grisha civilization, therefore all the countries have gotten involved. That means new enemies... and new allies. So be excited.

Not to mention, this has all the grishaverse vibes... pirates/mobs/gangs/badassery/magic/

The Ending

Legit. There are things that I'm really sad about, and I did want a *little more* for a few people but I really can't complain. Leigh did not let anyone go to waste.

Honestly I don't even know what to say. I don't want to tell the Grishaverse goodbye. I'm PRAYING for a Nikolai book/series.

I just can't kiss this world goodbye yet. Please, Queen Leigh, don't let it end here!!!

If you haven't yet, I made a playlist for 6oC and I've updated it a bit since for the Crooked Kingdom release!! You can check it out here. OR here for the spotify URL! Not only that, but I'm working on creating more 60C/Crooked Kingdom fan art for my etsy- so keep an eye out!

My Blog ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Etsy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Kingdom.

June 13, 2016 – Shelved
September 26, 2016 – Started Reading
September 27, 2016 –
22.0% "Dang, this is fast paced. Also I have a really soft spot for Wylan."
page 310
57.84% "Good heavens I need a breather but I also can't stop.."
page 386
72.01% "OH MY LORD DREAMS DO COME TRUE dhshdhsghdvhdyy I am shrieking literally shrieking fjehshf"
September 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

lolo' Niko niko NIKOLAI

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink lolo' wrote: "Niko niko NIKOLAI"

I NEED THIS. I need my niko in this book... like this is a big deal

message 3: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex If Nikolai is in this book the in going to binge read it this weekend

Rose he actually is apparently going to be in this one!!!

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ Yeahhhh Nikolai is a freaking dream boat. He was my favorite character from that series!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rose wrote: "he actually is apparently going to be in this one!!!"

WHAT OMG TELL ME DETAILS AHHH HOW DO YOU KNOW

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ wrote: "Yeahhhh Nikolai is a freaking dream boat. He was my favorite character from that series!"

Dream boat. I like this description. Yes, this is accurate.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Devlin wrote: "If Nikolai is in this book the in going to binge read it this weekend"

RIGHT??

message 9: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex I am sold. Im so reading it this weekend.

Kennedy Liggett Or give him is own series... I'd settle for either.
Or both ;)

message 11: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose The first two chapters of Crooked Kingdom are up on Leigh's site I think & it already mentions him in there [dying], and also she answered a question about it a while back (forgot what she said) but it hinted Nikooooo!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kennedy wrote: "Or give him is own series... I'd settle for either.
Or both ;)"

I'm thinking both!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rose wrote: "The first two chapters of Crooked Kingdom are up on Leigh's site I think & it already mentions him in there [dying], and also she answered a question about it a while back (forgot what she said) bu..."

You about gave me a heart attack!! I thought you meant he's in th first chapter dying... I freaked out omg!! Hah I get what you meant now. PHEWWWWWW.

message 14: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose OMG HAHAHHA. Sorry! No, I was the one dying tbh lmao. but yeah, there's a mention already :))

message 15: by Kari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews) I WANT

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kari wrote: "I WANT"

RIGHT? So close but so far away..

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rose wrote: "OMG HAHAHHA. Sorry! No, I was the one dying tbh lmao. but yeah, there's a mention already :))"

I read it omg!! HE MUST APPEAR... like she's set it up so perfectly right!?

Laurie –A Court of Books– Already??! It makes me even more eager to read it!! I'm waiting for it in the mail, but haven't received it yet :(
Your review announce a former character (at least this is what I hope since Six of Crows ^^)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover lmao your updates are amazing. I'm reading SOC now and I AM SO IN LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE!

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I'm so jealous you've already read this! My pre-ordered copy is delayed :'(

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ I would die for a Nikolai series ughhhhh

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Laurie –A Court of Books– wrote: "Already??! It makes me even more eager to read it!! I'm waiting for it in the mail, but haven't received it yet :(

Oh my goodness Laurie you are going to LOVE it!!! I hope it gets there soon! KEEP ME POSTED!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "lmao your updates are amazing. I'm reading SOC now and I AM SO IN LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Bahaha I can't help all my fangirling!! This one was worth it!! OMG you just read the whole Grisha series too.. I can't WAIT to see what your reactions are to this one...

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ wrote: "I would die for a Nikolai series ughhhhh"

ME TOO. I might start a petition..

Laurie –A Court of Books– Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Laurie –A Court of Books– wrote: "Already??! It makes me even more eager to read it!! I'm waiting for it in the mail, but haven't received it yet :(
Your review announce a former character (at leas..."

(view spoiler)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Tuesday wrote: "I thought the entire book was getting back Inej as well, but just like you I was so happily wrong. This is a great review and your playlists are great! Thank you!"

OH yay okay I'll definitely check out that song!! Thank you!!! And yes- this entire book was such a pleasant suprise- I was SO excited!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Laurie –A Court of Books– wrote: "Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Laurie –A Court of Books– wrote: "Already??! It makes me even more eager to read it!! I'm waiting for it in the mail, but haven't received it yet :(
Your revie..."

OMG LAURIE... I want to tell you SO bad but it is so worth the wait!!!! a;ldkjfa;lsdkfja;lsdkfja;lskjf you must tell me when you get there omgahhhhh

Jaydyn |Between the Bindings| This was such a fantastic review :)) GAHH I can't wait to read up on my little goon gang!

Rachael (RedRchlReads) Ahh! I need to hurry up and read all the Grisha books so I can get to Crooked Kingdom. In hindsight, I really wish I had read Grisha before Six of Crows. Even though SoC was still amazing, I think I would have appreciated it just that much more.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Jaydyn wrote: "This was such a fantastic review :)) GAHH I can't wait to read up on my little goon gang!"

Haha thank you!! YES omg- the gang... is just... beyond epic in this one.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Rachael wrote: "Ahh! I need to hurry up and read all the Grisha books so I can get to Crooked Kingdom. In hindsight, I really wish I had read Grisha before Six of Crows. Even though SoC was still amazing, I think ..."

AHH YES! I just say savor the grisha trilogy though because its so amazing- I get chills every time i read that series!! AND you will totally appreciate Crooked Kingdom so much more once you meet some of the Grisha characters ;) and I totally agree- I'm so glad I read them before Six of Crows just because it clears up so much of the world!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished and your review is pretty much all of
my feels right now LOL

message 33: by Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink (last edited Sep 30, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Solomon wrote: "I just finished and your review is pretty much all of
my feels right now LOL"

Hahah SOLOMON..... I KNEW you would love it!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

It was soo good! But i'm so sad that it's the end :(

message 35: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina I really hope there will be a Nikolai series, because NIKOLAI IS LIFE!!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Nina wrote: "I really hope there will be a Nikolai series, because NIKOLAI IS LIFE!!"

YES. We need to start a petition/plea... because THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Kristy Mauna Yes! Yes!! Yes! You should have seen my stupid smile when Nikolai said - "I told you I'm famous." I'm smiling now! Haha perfect review!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Kristy wrote: "Yes! Yes!! Yes! You should have seen my stupid smile when Nikolai said - "I told you I'm famous." I'm smiling now! Haha perfect review!"

Haha thanks!! And YES I was flipping out about Nikolai omg .. I was literally jumping up and down!!!!

Laurie –A Court of Books– Great Review Dear!! "Wylan and Alina Starkov would be BFFS... just saying" you just killed me! ^^

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Laurie –A Court of Books– wrote: "Great Review Dear!! "Wylan and Alina Starkov would be BFFS... just saying" you just killed me! ^^"

Haha YES they are both such kindred spirits!!

Bianca {Until The Last Page} I just finished the book! Like you, I thought that this qas going to be all about rescuing Inej. I was ranting to my friend whenever there'/ something worthy of being ranted about haha and of course I was telling her my guesses of who's going to die and I was wrong numerous times... but still i thought... you know, a new life... but... =.(

Bianca {Until The Last Page} *and oh, i'll reply to your PM when i get my laptop fixed. My reply is long overdue :/ *

Getter Just finished it.. oh boy. I haven't read the original trilogy past the first book so a bit of excitement for me was lost I guess but man, the feels, the damn feelings are just killing me right now. I do wish there was more. Another set of characters, with possible cameos by Wylan and Jesper. Can't imagine Kaz being apart of somebody elses plot but I mean, he could be changing in the future. Man, now thinking about this makes me super sad it's over. Such a good little series.

message 44: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Anderson I know this is an older review. I just finished though and feel like I don’t have to write a review. You wrote it for me!!!! Spot on girl! Love your reviews.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Bri wrote: "I know this is an older review. I just finished though and feel like I don’t have to write a review. You wrote it for me!!!! Spot on girl! Love your reviews."

Aww haha thanks I appreciate that! I'm glad someone else agrees ;) Cheers for a Nikolai book in 2019:)

message 46: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Anderson Yassss! Can’t come soon enough. Until then I will continue working through your favorites and recommended from your blog. So far awesome! Also the playlists help too :). My husband even enjoys them.