Kirk's Reviews > The Collected Stories

The Collected Stories by Eudora Welty

Feb 29, 2008

bookshelves: currently-teaching
Read in January, 1989

Makes for delightful teaching. Students really respond well to the stories, showing a lot of compassion and generosity to characters. In 41 Welty was erroneously tagged as a "grotesque" by Katharine Ann Porter, and that reputation is hard to avoid in the early, famous stories like "Petrified Man" and "Why I Live at the PO." They're funny tour-de-forces, innovative in voice and form. My own preference is for the later stuff; "The Bride of the Innisfallen" is one of those long, seemingly plotless stories (sort of like "The Dead") in which nothing happens until right at the end. Suddenly, you realize what a ride you've been on the entire twenty pages. There are also two previously uncollected stories, including "Where is the Voice Coming From?", a fictionalization of the murder of Medgar Evans. For a writer whose most famous essay is about why writers don't need to crusade, it's a hell of a crusading piece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories.

09/18/2017 marked as: read

Xysea This is one of my favorite books of short stories.

In fact, I lost my copy a while ago and just ordered a replacement via Amazon.com today - odd serendipity, don'tcha think? ;)

lol Xy

Kirk That is indeed serendipitous! I had forgotten how much I enjoy her work until the past week. It made me want to reread The Optimist's Daughter, too.

Xysea I love the Optimist's Daughter.

She, and Flannery O'Connor, are my two favorite women authors.

Kirk Do you like Katharine Ann Porter?

Xysea I've read some of her stuff. I appreciate her, and enjoy her, but not in the way I do Welty, Cather and O'Connor.

message 6: by Jessica (last edited Mar 01, 2008 05:37AM) (new)

Jessica What about Katherine Mansfield? Kirk? Xysea? I like her stories quite a bit along with the authors you mention.

Kirk Oh, yes, definitely Jessica. Sad to say but it took me many years to keep the Katherines straight. But BLISS is a great collection, and "Miss Brill" teaches really well. The tragedy is that unlike Welty or Porter Mansfield died so young---it would've been interesting to see what else she would have written past the age of 34....

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica yes, I love that story too, and others as well. Yes, she died too young....like the playwright Lorraine Hansbury and so many others. Right now my students, male and female, are LOVING Kate Chopin. It's really exciting to introduce them to her extraordinary stories.

Kirk Yes, Chopin is great, too. I never get tired of THE AWAKENING, though "Desiree's Baby," only because I've taught it so often, gets tedious. I need to let it rest for a year.
Hey, I look forward to hearing more about your 09 collection! Congrats!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Thanks Kirk. I see you have a number of volumes! I shall have to check them out. "The Storm" is the greatest Chopin story (and "The Awakening.") This year I am teaching others of hers as well that were not in the textbook as the students are so captivated by her themes and characters.