Catherine Milos's Reviews > Behind the Badge

Behind the Badge by J.D. Cunegan

it was ok

I have mixed feelings about this book. It isn’t my usual fantasy focus, but I appreciate both the mystery/crime and the vigilante/superhero genres. There were a lot of scenes that really pulled me into the tale, the crime solving and deliberation over the evidence specifically. The premise is really interesting and I think it would serve well as a graphic novel, probably better than the novel format it was actually. It was well paced and built some interesting character development at the beginning. But that’s where it fell a little flat for me.

The characters didn’t seem to grow or progress as individuals. They were always true to their stock creation which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I felt like this novel had a lot of predictable elements, maybe that’s just my own writer’s mind though. I also felt sometimes it was trying to do too much. I am still sitting with the ending and am unsure how it actually makes me feel. It works for some superhero stories, not sure how it works for this one. It will be interesting to see what the author does in the next installment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Badge.

June 11, 2016 – Started Reading