Christi's Reviews > A Midsummer Night's Fling

A Midsummer Night's Fling by Eliza Walker

24862003
Jun 11, 2016

Wow! What a great debut novel by Eliza Walker. If this is what she can produce with her first book, I can't wait to read more from her. I read this in one sitting and was hooked from the very beginning.  Truth be told, I was a little weary that I might not like it since I knew there'd be some Shakespeare in it, but I wanted to give it a shot after I was asked to read it. Why? First, because it's a second chance romance and I love those and second because I love stories about actors.

Nicola Charles has not seen her ex, Max Fiesengerke, in five years since they last broke up. Little did she expect after moving home after being on tour to answer her door and for him to be on the other side of the threshold.  They had been best friends, childhood sweethearts, engaged, and then estranged and now he was offering her a job as Titania in A Midsummer Night's Dream, at one of the most renowned theater companies on the West Coast.

Max had to make this work with Nicola.  After being blacklisted years ago, his boss was the one who had given him a shot, and he couldn't blow it now. They could do this, all they had to do was keep it professional, right?
“Even I am not stupid enough to fall in love with Max Fiesengerke for a third time.”

It didn't take long before old feelings and memories to come flooding back for both Max and Nicola making them question whether or not they should give into or stay away from the other. Being in each other's arms again felt so right but what was this? A fling? How could they be together again and not get hurt as they had all those years ago?
Her heart had forgotten what it felt like to know someone like this, to be able to read his expressions, to predict what he’d say, to be pleased simply by his nearness. This was the sweet comfort of affection—not only wanting the person you were with, or loving them, but liking them too.

I really enjoyed this book. It has a little bit of everything. Low on unnecessary drama and angst, but plenty of great characters that are easy to love, great banter, lots of drama, romance, and humor.  I was immersed from the beginning of Max and Nicola's story.  The writer did a wonderful job of making me feel their feelings as if they were my own and created a wonder world around a topic (Shakespeare) that I would not normally read but once I did I actually enjoyed it.  I highly recommend this book to any romance lover and look forward to reading more from this author and series.

I was provided an arc from Sullivan and Partners for a fair and honest review.

Buy on:Kindle | Paperback | iBooks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer Night's Fling.

June 11, 2016 – Shelved