Matthew's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

bookshelves: 2016, kindle, own, classic

As someone who grew up in the 90s, this was in my head the whole time I read this:

I have never seen the movie, so the only idea I had in my mind is this iconic image of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly:

But, what I actually got was this:

Holly is crass and obnoxious with really no redeeming qualities. She is rude to her enemies, and even worse to her friends. She smokes to excess, drinks to excess, is promiscuous to excess - she is just wild, crazy, and destructive.

Reading this was like watching a train wreck - but I kind of liked it. I couldn't look away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

June 11, 2016 – Started Reading
June 11, 2016 – Shelved
June 11, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
June 11, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle
June 11, 2016 – Shelved as: own
June 11, 2016 – Shelved as: classic
June 11, 2016 –
page 21
10.94% "Where is Holly Golightly?"
June 12, 2016 –
page 45
23.44% "Holly is a bit spastic"
June 13, 2016 –
page 63
32.81% "Holly does not Golightly"
June 14, 2016 –
page 85
44.27% "Holly is manipulative"
June 15, 2016 –
page 109
56.77% "Holly is a kleptomaniac and has no shame"
June 16, 2016 –
page 144
75.0% "Holly has some baggage"
June 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Bianca I love that song. I first saw the movie, and then I read the book. Needless to say, I was somewhat taken aback by the fact that it was much darker than the movie.

Matthew I am going to finally watch the movie now that I read the book. I am certainly thinking there is no way it could be as dark!

Kandice I love the movie and the book, but they are so, so different! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Matthew I am getting ready to watch the movie now! Wanted to see it while the book was fresh in my mind.

Matthew Halfway through the movie and while not quite as dark, Holly is pretty much as she is in the book. Guess you can't judge a movie by it's cover!

Kandice Wait until the end...

Matthew Hollywood! They have to have it a certain way, don't they?

Bianca Matthew wrote: "Hollywood! They have to have it a certain way, don't they?"

Matthew Bianca wrote: "Well, it was made in the 60s, for the masses, what do you expect? Who wants to see a movie about a prostitute/call girl?"

Yes, not quite as many dark endings back then.

Kandice Or the beginning...I think the beginning of the book is so haunting. I'm not sure anyone else could actually BE Holly, but this is one that might be ok as a remake more true to the source.

message 11: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)

Matthew Jessica's wrote: "Great review hun :)"

:) Thanks!

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Yes! Spot on review!

Matthew Amy wrote: "Yes! Spot on review!"

Thank Amy - I have seen many others who were as surprised as me! :)

message 15: by Sharyl (new)

Sharyl Good review--I saw the movie, but never got around to reading it. Sounds different!

Matthew Sharyl wrote: "Good review--I saw the movie, but never got around to reading it. Sounds different!"

While the movie was different - it did still have some of the crass elements I found in the book. I am very glad to have read the book first so I could look for the similarities and differences.

Alex LOL. Great review Matthew. I just started this novel today, and that song is stuck in my head.

Matthew Thanks, Alex! I hope you enjoy!

Carol Just read it and I felt the same way. I still haven't seen the movie, but although the character meets a sad end, she manipulates and abuses those around her. The only thing I liked about it was Truman Capote's beautiful writing.

Matthew Carol wrote: "Just read it and I felt the same way. I still haven't seen the movie, but although the character meets a sad end, she manipulates and abuses those around her. The only thing I liked about it was Tr..."

Definitely much grittier than I think the expectation for this has become based on the Hepburn image. I wonder if Capote liked the movie version and how he felt about how people who were not aware of his original book viewed it.

Since I read this, I have now read In Cold Blood - interesting to see two different types of writing from the same author.

Carol Matthew wrote: "Carol wrote: "Just read it and I felt the same way. I still haven't seen the movie, but although the character meets a sad end, she manipulates and abuses those around her. The only thing I liked a..."

I plan to read that next. Many people have told me how good it is. From my mother's perspective, there were no other books like this at the time. And it still holds up today.

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Great review! Though I've seen the movie, I haven't read the book. I've heard that Capote didn't like Hepburn in the role; he imagined Marilyn Monroe playing the part instead.

Carol Ahhh, Marilyn would have been better! I can believe that she grew up on a farm and married at 14.

Matthew Carol wrote: "Ahhh, Marilyn would have been better! I can believe that she grew up on a farm and married at 14."

Jenn wrote: "Great review! Though I've seen the movie, I haven't read the book. I've heard that Capote didn't like Hepburn in the role; he imagined Marilyn Monroe playing the part instead."

Yeah - Hepburn played it great, but is too soft. You needed someone who was elegant, but an elegance that only thinly veiled their trashiness!

message 25: by P.E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

P.E. You have me guffawing at your comparison xD
Thanks for your review Matthew!

Matthew P.E. wrote: "You have me guffawing at your comparison xD
Thanks for your review Matthew!"

Thank you, and you are very welcome! 😃😃😃😃

Matthew ~☆~Autumn♥♥ wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Hollywood! They have to have it a certain way, don't they?"

Yes! Hollywood is awful but I still think of Audrey Hepburn as being the epitome of glamour. Very glad that I saw the mo..."

Yes! Always loved Hepburn! She was before my time, but I kinda had a little crush on her, too! 😊

~☆~Autumn♥♥ Glad to hear that!

Matthew ~☆~Autumn♥♥ wrote: "Glad to hear that!"

😊😊😂

Riley Ashby same on the song. i knew that long before i knew about the movie, or the short story.

Matthew Kristina Reads - wrote: "same on the song. i knew that long before i knew about the movie, or the short story."

Now it is is my head . . . definitely an earworm! :)

message 32: by Crystal♛ (new)

Crystal♛ As soon as I read the title the song popped into my head!

Matthew Crystal♛ wrote: "As soon as I read the title the song popped into my head!"

I am going to spread this all over Goodreads today! How many people can I get singing this song! :D

message 34: by Vera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vera That damn song has been stuck in my head the whole week!!

Matthew Vera wrote: "That damn song has been stuck in my head the whole week!!"

:D