Bellmar's Reviews > How Not to Network a Nation: The Uneasy History of the Soviet Internet

How Not to Network a Nation by Benjamin Peters

Jun 11, 2016

bookshelves: currently-reading

While you follow my progress, my book club is actually giving away a free copy of this book. FYI :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Not to Network a Nation.

June 11, 2016 – Started Reading
June 11, 2016 – Shelved
June 13, 2016 –
page 2
0.64% "A lot of the information in this book comes from an academic paper title "The Soviet InterNyet!" ... get it? get it? XD"
June 15, 2016 –
page 19
6.09% "Margaret Mead was a speaker at the first tech conferences #databeachreads #womenintech"
June 17, 2016 –
page 21
6.73% "Huh.. in 1940 "feedback" was an obscure technical term"
June 18, 2016 –
page 84
26.92% "First thing the Bolsheviks took over after the revolution was a calculator factor so that they could eventually use their machines in economic strategy."
June 19, 2016 –
page 92
29.49% "The space race was kicked off by fear that the Soviets were going to mount warheads on their satellites #databeachreads"
June 26, 2016 –
page 93
29.81% "The Vietnam War might have created Silicon Valley: Congress freezes military spending on research and all the computing experts leave to work for fledging private sector"
July 24, 2016 –
page 122
39.1% "If we had studied Soviet systems we would have known big, complex and expensive government projects always fail."
July 24, 2016 –
page 131
41.99% ""The [research] collective issue faked stamped passports and marriage certificates authorized by the 'Robot Council of Cybertonia'""