Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > Blood Rites

Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

May 08, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, urban, magic, vampires, witches-and-wizards
Read from June 04 to 08, 2011

Wow, this was a great one, and not just because Jim Butcher dropped a great many bombshells in this book. I have a feeling that this is the point where the series takes another serious turn for the better. So much more of Harry's character is developed, which in my opinion is the best part. By now he has established himself as a solid protagonist, and really, when I think of the first three Dresden Files books they just pale in comparison to this one. No contest.

I really enjoyed the first half of this book, because I love seeing Harry do investigative work. I've always felt that the mystery was lacking in this series. The beginning of "Blood Rites", however, saw him going back to his detective roots, investigating a mysterious string of deaths on an adult film set. I mean, how could this not turn out to be a great story? I admire Jim Butcher a lot for his ability to throw together something that promises much action and humor.

Everything went well until the second half where he and Murphy and Kincaid go vampire hunting. The plot line strays and leaves the mystery behind at that point, easing back to embrace more of the action/thriller elements. I still had a good time up to the very last page; the difference is, I know I'll remember the first half of the book for a very long time. On the other hand, the ending didn't make much of an impression. Still, a good read overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Rites.

11/14 marked as: read

Brian I'm really enjoying reading reviews from you and Naithin and Rebecca as you make your way through the series, it's taking me back to the two month period when I first found out about the Dresden Files and tore through the first seven books (I think that's how many had been released) in about three weeks.

Mogsy (MMOGC) I'm really enjoying the series so far. I don't usually read books of the same series back to back, but I'm going to make the push to finish up to Side Jobs so I can catch Ghost Story as soon as it comes out.

Brian I'm sure Jonathan and I sound like broken records but the series just get's better and better as it goes on. I'm really really looking forward to your reaction to Changes.

Brian I'm usually the opposite about series though, I like to read straight through whenever I can just to keep everything as continuous as possible in my head.

Mogsy (MMOGC) I must have the attention span of a goldfish. I need to mix stuff up. The only time I did that was with A Song of Ice And Fire, because despite the books going steadily downhill, it was still exciting and I still really wanted to know what happened. Dresden Files is looking like another series that is able to keep me interested without going insane by reading all the books back to back.

Jonathan I fully admit I'm waiting for the three Changes reviews. The whole vampire thing though that cost a star for you.. we'll come back to that.

Rebecca (agirlirlblog, bekkilyn) Sometimes I start getting worn down by a series if I keep reading through the books non-stop, but I had no trouble whatsoever reading through these. I'm moving slowly through Side Jobs now, but that's only because my class has really kicked in big time and infringing on my fun reading.

I can't wait until everyone gets through Changes!