Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾'s Reviews > Ramsay

Ramsay by Mia Sheridan

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance

3.5 Stars

Forgiveness isn't an emotion. Forgiveness is a choice. And sometimes it's one you have to choose again and again.

I've been sitting on my rating for several days now and if I'm being perfectly honest, I still have no idea how to rate this fairly. On the one hand, I absolutely loved the writing style and the premise of the story. I loved the emotion, the feeling, the vividness with which Mia Sheridan wrote the characters. I'm a sucker for the revenge plot and a second chance love story and this book had it in spades. It was written with plenty of emotion to grip the reader and make the characters' struggles their own. On the other hand there were some things about the story and the direction some things took and decisions made that left me conflicted and frustrated. This is really one of those times where I NEED a half star, because while this book wasn't exactly a three star, it just wasn't quite a solid four for me either.
She was everything soft and beautiful and feminine, and she made me want in a way I both loved and hated.

Seven years ago, the son of the gardener fell in love with a princess. She was everything unattainable and what he couldn't have. But that love led to a betrayal that cost him and his family everything. Leaving him destitute, heart broken, and knowing one thing; he'll never beg for anything again. But the burn of that betrayal never left Brogan and left him craving revenge more than his next breath.
I hated them-hated the whole lot of them. And now they'd pay. And I'd enjoy every minute of it. I wouldn't allow anything else.

Now the tables have turned. Lydia is barely keeping her father's once thriving company afloat. Her brother is deep in gambling debt and alcohol and the only answer to keeping her father's company is to beg the man that wants to make her pay for everything. Brogan Ramsay. The same man that still leaves her breathless just as the young boy did all those years ago. But Brogan is no longer that boy she once knew. The Brogan of today is cruel, cold, and determined to make her pay for everything his family suffered from her foolish mistake those years ago.

But not everything is as it seems and both Lydia and Brogan harbor secrets of their own. Lydia's may heal their wounds, but Brogan's may rip them to shreds.

Ramsay is a powerfully emotional story of forgiveness and the cost of revenge. I absolutely loved Brogan, it's impossible not to. Being able to be in his head and know his internal struggle over the things he does, his guilt over doing them, and his anger that he just can't shut off just helped connect with him fully. You truly understand why he does the things he does even if at times you want to hate him for it.

Lydia is a heroine that will be a bit of a crap shoot for some. Some readers may not fully understand her easy acceptance of things her brother does and her even easier forgiveness of them. Family is a tricky thing and as much as I wanted to shake some sense into her some times, a part of me did understand how difficult it was for her considering her brother was her only living family left. She wanted to believe the best in him, almost to the point of delusion. At times her jumping to conclusion of Brogan and the choices she made soon after left me frustrated beyond belief. She was almost naively susceptible to bad thing. But then again, she is young and led a bit of a sheltered life, so I couldn't judge too harshly.

Ultimately what led to my lower rating was the last 30%. There was just a little too much happening. Between Lydia and Brogan's relationship and trust issues, their guilt and anger, her brother, Courtney, and a few other things I won't mention due to spoilers, it just felt a bit OTT for my tastes. Maybe if they were dispersed throughout the book, it would have been a little easier to swallow. but the quick succession of these things taking place just left my head reeling.

I absolutely loved the secondary characters; Fionn and Eileen were like the glue that held everything together. Instead of distracting from the story they added a little something to it that made it just that much better. I don't remember the last time I read a book where I loved the secondary characters almost as much as the main ones, but that was definitely the case here.

One thing is for sure, Mia Sheridan is an incredible story teller. Her characters are some that will stay with you for a long time to come. And while my rating is not what I'd hoped, I still enjoyed this story. Sure, it left me frustrated at times, but it's not one I regret reading and I'd certainly recommend it to any fans of this author and those that love a little revenge with their romance. I'm definitely a huge fan of this author and I look forward to anything she may release next.

ARC courtesy of author in exchange for an honest review

Find me on:
Follow me on facebook Follow Me on Twitter blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ramsay.

June 10, 2016 – Shelved
June 10, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-to-review
June 14, 2016 – Started Reading
June 16, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
June 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Happy reading, lovely <3

message 2: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Can't wait for your review!

message 3: by Izy (new)

Izy Great honest review Lana! :)

message 4: by Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth (last edited Jun 18, 2016 09:41PM) (new) - added it

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Fab honest review love! xx

Saw some mixed reviews about this one.

Rachel Reads Ravenously Awesome review Lana!!! xoxo

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog Great review, Lana! x

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Wonderful review girl xoxo!

Pattrycia Fantastic review, Lana!!

message 10: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

Eve (Between The Bookends) Fab review Lana! :D

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle Terrific review, Lana!! Can't wait <3

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Amazing review babe xx

message 14: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Lana! :)

message 15: by Nanci (new) - added it

Nanci **Warning**IWasASailor⚓️MyMouthisDirty Wow loved the review! I'm adding this

message 16: by Nanci (new) - added it

message 17: by Judith (new)

Judith Wonderful review,honey,xx

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen Terrific review, Lana! ❤️

message 19: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Great review, Lana.

message 20: by Yomi M. (new) - added it

Yomi M. Amazing review Lana :)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Fantastic review, doll!! I've been meaning to get to this, but seeing all the mixed reviews I think I'll hold off. But, I'm glad you enjoyed it overall despite your concerns! :D xoxoxo

FMABookReviews Terrific review, Lana!!xo

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Terrific review, dear. I found it a bit over the top at the end too :/

Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ Lovely review Lana xo

message 25: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy Great review my lovely :-) ♥

message 26: by River (new)

River Great honest review Lana! Xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Yomi Milanesa wrote: "Amazing review Lana :)"

FMABookReviews wrote: "Terrific review, Lana!!xo"

Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ wrote: "Lovely review Lana xo"

Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Great review my lovely :-) ♥"

Lizzie wrote: "Great honest review Lana! Xx"

Thank you, lovelies! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ ✤Maria✤ wrote: "Terrific review, dear. I found it a bit over the top at the end too :/"

If it wasn't for all that happening in 30%, this would have been a solid 4 stars for me :(

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Fantastic review, doll!! I've been meaning to get to this, but seeing all the mixed reviews I think I'll hold off. But, I'm glad you enjoyed it overall despite your concerns! :D xoxoxo"

Thank you, honey! Yeah, it seems very up and down with this book. But you never know, you just may love it ;)

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Jessica's wrote: "Awesome review sweetie :)"

Eve wrote: "Fab review Lana! :D"

Elle wrote: "Terrific review, Lana!! Can't wait <3"

Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤ wrote: "Amazing review babe xx"

Aisling Zena wrote: "Terrific review Lana! :)"

Nanci wrote: "Wow loved the review! I'm adding this"

Judith wrote: "Wonderful review,honey,xx"

Jen wrote: "Terrific review, Lana! ❤️"

Leigh wrote: "Great review, Lana."

Thanks so much, everyone! xx

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Izy wrote: "Great honest review Lana! :)"

Astrid - ✿ˑ☆ Vanilla & Spice Books ☆ˑ✿ wrote: "Fab honest review love! xx

Saw some mixed reviews about this one."

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ wrote: "wonderful review Lana!"

Rachel Reads Ravenously (AKA The Wildcard Reader) wrote: "Awesome review Lana!!! xoxo"

Nancy wrote: "Fab review, Lana!"

Nissa Marie wrote: "Great review, Lana! x"

Emma wrote: "Wonderful review girl xoxo!"

Thank you, ladies! xx

message 32: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Awesome as always, woman! I was maybe going to start this now but this heroine sounds like she'd bug the everloving crap out of me. But I love Mia Sheridan. Dilemmas, dammit!

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾ Jen wrote: "Awesome as always, woman! I was maybe going to start this now but this heroine sounds like she'd bug the everloving crap out of me. But I love Mia Sheridan. Dilemmas, dammit!"

It seems to be a very mixed review sort of book. The heroine wasn't my favorite and the ending was OTT for my tastes, but I still enjoyed it for the most part