Jeff's Reviews > Rough Beasts of Empire

Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III

May 07, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction
Recommended to Jeff by: found it on the library shelves

Not having read the previous two titles in the Typhon Pact run, maybe I was missing something, but this novel left me unsatisfied overall and downright confused about Ben Sisko's actions and attitude.

I've always found Captain Sisko unique among starship captains, a fascinating blend of action and reflection, dedication to duty and devotion to fatherhood, spirituality and physicality. In RBE, he comes across helpless, irresponsible, self-absorbed, and weak. Sure, he's got the weight of the prophecy ("You must walk your path alone.") upon him and the death of his father to deal with, but he abandons all responsibility and sense too readily even for these crushing concerns.

The other thread of this story - Spock's continuing efforts at Romulan-Vulcan Reunification - while more logical and understandable, stil comes across simplistic and underwhelming.

The only exciting aspect of this book is the development of the Tzenkethi. We get a glimpse of their caste society, a peak at their culture and architecture, and a sense of their physical and emotional mores. Hopefully, we'll see and learn more of this captivating species.

The title is appropriate: the author has treated two honored Star Trek characters as little more than rough beasts as he focuses on the larger machinations and powerplays of politics, alliances, and empire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough Beasts of Empire.