Maghon Thomas's Reviews > In the Shadow of the Dragon King

In the Shadow of the Dragon King by J. Keller Ford

3382002

bookshelves: young-adult, review-4-author, fantasy, to-read

My mind is blown with how completely magnificent this book is! And I'm super grateful Ms J is making it a trilogy. And though the blurb is good it really doesn't do this book justice because there's just so much... MORE! So there's two major places this book takes place, our normal world, and Fallhollow. Davis lives here in our world but he is a lot more than just human. His parents sent him here to be safe from the threats at home. And then Eric is from Fallhollow. He's a knight's squire. He's a good guy but he just wants more and has ambition for things he's not ready to hear. There's a lot of secrets being kept from both of them and when some of those secrets start coming out, they react so differently. David kinda shuts down until he has not choice. Eric lashes out and has a few immature choices he made.

I loved the characters so much. They are all so well developed and each one feels real! Like a person I just talked to. It's hard to do that well, but Ms J did it with ease! You're gunna not only fall for Eric and David, but for Charlotee, whom is David's human best friend that he's secretly in love with. And you'll fall in love with Eric's sneaky best friend, and Sir T as I called him, and the other Knights. You'll even love the king and queen, and the crazy magical sorcerers, sorceress, and even the bag guys. And there's more than one dragon, one I adore and one that needs to not live for too much longer. There's a lot of good things happening between characters but there's also betrayal and secrets and some not so savory happening as well.

Now on to the world building. Holy crap on a cracker batman, this is one of the BEST world buildings I've ever read!!! And it's done in a way that you don't really notice until halfway though the book it's like a stunning painting floating in your brain. Ms J introduced this beautiful world of Fallhollow slowly so it's not two pages of info dump shoved in your face. As the characters travel you see what they see. And the writing, well that should already be easy for you to guess how I feel. It's spectacular. I was completely hooked!! I found myself picking up my book every single second I could! And when it ended I almost cried, until I read the author note at the end stating there will be another book. Then in seconds I was cheering out loud!! And I'm absolutely dying for that next book!!! And I think this book can appeal to almost anyone, no matter age or genre preference because it's just that good!!! Ms J, THANK YOU times 10 for letting me read your book. Be prepared for me to stalk you until books 2 and 3 are in my grubby little paws!!!! And to everyone else, not all dragons are bad, but not all dragons are good- be prepared for this! 5 PHENOMENONAL PAWS!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of the Dragon King.

June 10, 2016 – Started Reading