Alex (HEABookNerd)'s Reviews > Marcus

Marcus by Anna Hackett

19977507

bookshelves: romance, romance-sci-fi, opposites-attract, favorite-reads, 2016, post-apocalyptic, 2018, military, couple-mf
Read 2 times. Last read October 30, 2018.

**FAVORITE READ**

Series: Hell Squad #1
Rating: 5 stars - loved it!

The human race is on the brink of extinction after an alien species, resembling raptors, invades Earth. A group of survivors have taken sanctuary at an old military base in the Blue Mountains of Australia but they aren't content to just survive. Squads of men and women go out every day to fight the raptors and rescue other humans. Elle Milton has it bad for Hell Squad's leader Marcus Steele but he just want her off the team. When a mission requires Elle to go out with Hell Squad, Marcus can't hide his feelings for Elle any longer. But can love between these two last when they're fighting for their very lives?

I am so in love with Marcus right now! This book was like watching a great action packed alien invasion movie and I can't wait to get more. I loved the backdrop of an alien invasion on earth -- and what unique aliens too! Anna Hackett really came up with some interesting creatures and I'm curious to see if there are more types of aliens that we'll encounter in later books. I would have liked more about the beginning of the alien invasion but we did get a general overview and I imagine more will be revealed in the later books. The futuristic state that Earth was in at the time of the invasion also creates a full world that I'm really interested in. A whole slew of technological advances also give the humans a fighting chance against the deadly raptors and Hackett did a great job of forming her world.

I adored Elle and Marcus as individuals and as a couple. Elle had a lot of guilt over the party girl she used to be and how she acted during the initial invasion, but she's determined to find her place in this new world and make a difference, especially to Hell Squad, who has become her family. She has no problem standing up to Marcus when she needs to and she can hold her own against the tough soldiers she works with. Marcus was an excellent hero -- strong, protective, a bad-ass against the aliens but always gentle of Elle. When she would doubt herself he was there to boost her confidence and remind her that it's about who she is now, not who she used to be. They're both shocked by their unlikely love under such horrible circumstances but it also gives them something to fight for and a hope that can outcome any obstacle.

The other members of Hell Squad were well represented and I can't wait to read their stories! Out of personal desire, I wish one sad thing hadn't happened, but war is brutal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marcus.

June 10, 2016 – Shelved