Cupcakes & Machetes's Reviews > Among Wolves

Among Wolves by R.A. Hakok

did not like it
bookshelves: dont-do-it, fiction, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, book-club
Recommended for: abso-fucking-lutely no one

I think I'm being pranked.

Because I'm looking at reviews and ratings by other people of this book and they are all 4 to 5 stars. And all I can think, is that you guys have a taste for garbage. You enjoy the three day old banana peel sitting at the top of the trash can. When no one is looking, you're snacking on moldy bread that fell on the floor beside the trash can that someone was too lazy to pick up and throw away properly.

This book is that trash can. A massive heap of garbage.

I mean, the only way you could have possibly liked this is if you don't read a lot of post-apocalyptic/sci-fi books. The best sci-fi, has actual plausible science in it, at least partially.

This? I think the author was just pulling literal shit out of his ass and building a shoddy story out of it. I mean, did he even research how a virus works? Because from the sounds of it, he meant a bacteria but couldn't be bothered with that much further thought about his world ending abomination.

“The iron in our blood was the main example, she said, but there was also zinc, copper, manganese, chromium and a host of others with names that were hard to pronounce and even harder to remember. That was why the virus didn't just attack things, like cars and trucks and bridges and buildings. It could infect us too.”

To further explain this imaginary virus, it is spread by hand to hand contact. It doesn't travel very well via the air, this is all per author. So I ask you, just how could it spread SO quickly as to engulf all the metal in the world along with all the people and animals? If it requires hand to hand contact, how the flying fuck are all the animals dead? Have you ever tried to pet a wild deer or bear? No? That's because they generally run the fuck away. Sure, bombs were dropped in certain places from the sounds of it, it's not like the land was riddled with them. It's never mentioned whether those bombs were atomic or nuclear. If it was nuclear, whole other realm of problems with this book as well but since I'm not sure about that one, I'll leave it alone.

Hand to hand contact. Skin contact. The only plausible way for a virus to transfer via skin contact is if there is an open wound. Your skin is your biggest immunity as it prevents things from entering your body. That is literally, it's entire fucking purpose. The only way around this is if you take this wild metal eating virus theory and say that the virus consumes the DNA in your skin. Except again, that is not how a virus works. Fucking google it. Bacteria yes, virus no.

Secondly, a 16 year old virgin girl, being drugged and raped would not not have any idea what was going on. Because you might not have a vagina, let me inform you: your vagina feels massively different after your first time having sex. She would have been sore most likely for days, and not being an idiot, would not think that she had somehow immaculately conceived.

Third, all, I mean all of the characters sucked. In the end, I hope every single one of them dies because if that is what the world was left with, boring one dimensional human beings, then fucking become extinct already.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among Wolves.

June 10, 2016 – Started Reading
June 10, 2016 – Shelved
June 11, 2016 –
11.0% "I dunno, kind of seems like a rip off of The 100 so far..."
June 15, 2016 –
20.0% "Not very impressed thus far."
June 21, 2016 –
June 25, 2016 –
50.0% "I'm going to try to polish off the last 50% of this horror show over the weekend. As of right now, do not expect a nice review. It will most likely be filled with rage."
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: dont-do-it
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: sci-fi
June 26, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 5, 2017 – Shelved as: book-club

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Lancer (new)

Lancer God do I enjoy your reviews.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Can we blog this. Love it

Cupcakes & Machetes Paul wrote: "Can we blog this. Love it"

Haha, yes!

Cupcakes & Machetes sir Lancer wrote: "God do I enjoy your reviews."

lmao. I really hated this book with every fiber of my being.

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey I get the impression this venting felt very good.

Cupcakes & Machetes Audrey wrote: "I get the impression this venting felt very good."

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Audrey wrote: "I get the impression this venting felt very good."

It really, really did. At the half way point, I decided that I had to finish it so that I could accurately vent my hatred."

Yes, I feel extra inspired while writing such reviews.

Nick how dare you insult such a good book. jk i do like the intesnity of your review

Cupcakes & Machetes Reviewer Nick wrote: "how dare you insult such a good book. jk i do like the intesnity of your review"

lol thanks

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia White I loved your review!! You didn't hold anything back!! Loved it. I already have the book now. It will be awhile before I get to it. But, I have to read it now just because..

Cupcakes & Machetes Patricia wrote: "I loved your review!! You didn't hold anything back!! Loved it. I already have the book now. It will be awhile before I get to it. But, I have to read it now just because.."

Ha! Thanks! Maybe you won't hate it as much as I did. :3

Kayla Cox I have a degree in English and professional writing. I know good writing. I can only assume that you are illiterate or stumbled across a copy written in a foreign language.

Cupcakes & Machetes Kayla wrote: "I have a degree in English and professional writing. I know good writing. I can only assume that you are illiterate or stumbled across a copy written in a foreign language."

You're clearly a troll and a liar all wrapped up into one.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー This review made me so happy! XD I laughed so hard.

Cupcakes & Machetes Jennifer (Jen) wrote: "This review made me so happy! XD I laughed so hard."

Lmao. Well I'm glad. I have a hard time biting my tongue when I hate something.

Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Jennifer (Jen) wrote: "This review made me so happy! XD I laughed so hard."

Lmao. Well I'm glad. I have a hard time biting my tongue when I hate something."

Same XD

message 17: by Elisa (new)

Elisa Oh wow this does sound like a moldy-bread kind of masterpiece. 🤨

Cupcakes & Machetes Elisa (Bookish Expat) wrote: "Oh wow this does sound like a moldy-bread kind of masterpiece. 🤨
With all these holes, I’m surprised there was anywhere for the characters to stand."

Ha! You have an excellent point! lol. Wish I would have thought of that for my review. ;)

message 19: by Y.I. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Y.I. Lee Shame you couldn't express your opinion workout using foul language. Shows a sad lack imagination.

message 20: by Cupcakes & Machetes (last edited May 04, 2018 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cupcakes & Machetes Y.I. wrote: "Shame you couldn't express your opinion workout using foul language. Shows a sad lack imagination."

No one forced you to read it. I like foul language. If you don't, buzz off. Your ability to like a bad book shows lack of taste.

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Vogel Book reviews are no place for personal attacks. If you didn’t like the book, fine. Tell people why. Everyone has the choice to read something or not. Leave name calling, insults and profanity out of it.

Cupcakes & Machetes Kim wrote: "Book reviews are no place for personal attacks. If you didn’t like the book, fine. Tell people why. Everyone has the choice to read something or not. Leave name calling, insults and profanity out o..."

If insults/profanity offends your delicate sensibilities, I recommend you quit the internet immediately. As it's my review, I'll say how I fucking feel.

Cupcakes & Machetes PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: I AM NEVER GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR THIS REVIEW.

Cupcakes & Machetes Kim wrote: "OMG! This gave me such a much needed laugh! I’m sorry you had to suffer through it though. And don’t you dare change your review to please other people. If they don’t like it that’s their problem, ..."

Thank you! I agree. My review and it's not changing. ;)

message 25: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Well I know what I’m NOT reading lol. Also all the tone policing busy bodies can buzz off. Your GR page; your rules. I’m probably the most sensitive person you know, too 😋

message 26: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Okay...weird. I posted the first one and it said “user deleted” so I thought maybe my cussing was blocked, but now I have two similar posts like a dumb ass lol.

Cupcakes & Machetes Adrienne wrote: "Okay...weird. I posted the first one and it said “user deleted” so I thought maybe my cussing was blocked, but now I have two similar posts like a dumb ass lol."

Haha, well I deleted one for you just so you didn't look crazy. :P I have a hard imagining going to someone else's review and trying to tell them how they can or cannot talk.

Sayra It mentions nanites at one point, which maybe makes sense given that it was an emp that did them all in.

But yeah, this book is not good.

Cupcakes & Machetes Sayra wrote: "It mentions nanites at one point, which maybe makes sense given that it was an emp that did them all in.

But yeah, this book is not good."

I don't remember that but it's been years at this point since I've read the book. Even factoring that in, like you said, it is not good.

Sasha Re: the virus: we’re told that it spreads via hand to hand contact by an unreliable narrator. Kane has plenty of reasons to lie about that, just as he lied about many other things throughout the novel.
Re: Lena’s assaults: with the loss of Mrs. Kimble, there are no adult women in Eden - which is why repopulation falls to the children. The children were brought into Eden when they were 6/7 years old - likely before they ever had the sex talk (as evidenced by Lena’s belief that she could be pregnant without ever having sex). So it’s entirely possible that a) she felt some pain and both had no frame of reference to which she could attribute it and no adult with whom she could speak and/or b) she was really clueless.

message 31: by Cupcakes & Machetes (last edited Dec 04, 2018 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cupcakes & Machetes Sasha wrote: "Re: the virus: we’re told that it spreads via hand to hand contact by an unreliable narrator. Kane has plenty of reasons to lie about that, just as he lied about many other things throughout the no..."

I really don't care. I am so over this book and people's absurd love for it and the need to defend it. Even if I gave you all those points you listed (I'm open minded to the fact that Kane could be lying about how it works), it would STILL be garbage based entirely on the bland writing and flat characters.

message 32: by Sandy (new) - rated it 1 star

Sandy Morley Yeah, this stinks. I can get behind an unreliable narrator, but a slightly broken, self-absorbed, fickly omniscient, *boring*, unreliable narrator? I should've shelved this after the first page.

Cupcakes & Machetes Sandy wrote: "Yeah, this stinks. I can get behind an unreliable narrator, but a slightly broken, self-absorbed, fickly omniscient, *boring*, unreliable narrator? I should've shelved this after the first page."

Yeah, I should have too!

Kelly Livesay This just made me sad. I thought GR might be one place in the world wear civility reigned. Attention seeking much? And no. I didn't read the whole thing. Maybe save the condescending vitriol for something more worthy.

Great lit? No. Needed editing? Yes. Fan of both PA and sci-fi fiction, I was still entertained. It wasn't meant to be The Road.

Jesus.

message 35: by Cupcakes & Machetes (last edited May 03, 2019 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cupcakes & Machetes *where

Maybe, it's my Goodreads page and my review and I'll do as I please. Maybe, I hated it so much I considered it worthy at the time. It has now been several years since I've read this and it's not WORTHY of ANYONE'S time.

It's not even worth you being butt hurt over a review that hated it.
No one even made you read this review or leave a comment.
Seems to me, you're seeking attention by your comment. Congratulations, you got it. As you can see, several people have already yelled at me for this review. As you can see, I still don't care what any of you say and it does nothing to change my mind.

But, you can keep trying if it makes you feel better.