Kristin's Reviews > The Return of the King

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read 2 times. Last read December 3, 2018 to December 26, 2018.

I made it!! After three months, I finally finished rereading this series. It was quite a task, I'll tell you...reading these books does not always come easy to me!

I can say now that I've finished that this is my favorite book of the trilogy. It might be because it's the one I've read the least (this was only the second time). It might be because I just really love how everything is wrapped up at the end. The beginning with its battles isn't my favorite, but I love the rest of it.

After watching the movies so much, it frustrates me that in the books, the hobbits don't have an easy homecoming to the Shire. But even as it's irritating me, I also feel so proud of how they all take charge of things, especially Merry and Pippin! And I'd completely forgotten about the end of Saruman and Wormtongue! That was a bit shocking.

I still think it's funny that Arwen is literally only mentioned two or three times in the entire series, and has basically one line, and she's so prominent in the movies! Also, I want to like Eowyn in the books but I don't really like her pining after Aragorn and then suddenly changing her mind.

Even though it seemed to take forever while I was in the middle of it, looking back now I feel fondly about this series again, ha. But I won't be rereading it again for a while.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of the King.

Finished Reading