Kristin's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read 2 times. Last read September 29, 2018 to October 24, 2018.

I really do love the Lord of the Rings. I was obsessed with the movies in middle school, which was also when I made my first (of many, only one of them completely successful) attempt at reading the entire series.

Here's the thing...these books are tough for me to get through! Sometimes I wonder if I love the idea of LOTR more than the actual books themselves. This slower pace with the read-along I'm participating in helps. Five chapters a week is very manageable and allows me to read other things too.

There are just so many descriptions. So many poems and songs and to be honest, I skim or skip most of those. But then just when I'm starting to feel bogged down, there will be this really beautiful, poignant quote or pretty piece of description and I'm in love again.

I do love the characters and setting and the whole feel of this world. It's just a little overwhelming sometimes. :) I did notice this time around that it feels like this trilogy really should be published as one volume as was intended. There's no conclusion at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers just dives right in. But I definitely understand how a single huge volume is intimidating and inconvenient!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

2007 – Started Reading