C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Cresswell Plot

The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, young-adult, 5-star

This book is severely messed up and I LOVE IT. I don't even usulaly like cult books?!? But I seriously adore this one so much I will fling my library copy to the wind and I'll go buy myself one. (Excuse me I'm totally kidding. There will be no flinging books. I will gently return it and then run wildly to buy myself one. #sensible)

Plus the book has like an entire CHECKLIST of things I adore. Which is very kind of it for thinking of me like this:

• big family (aka 6 kids) ✓
• complicated sibling relationships ✓
• heartbreaking tragic boys ✓
• minimal romance (if you can even call it romance, because it wasn't really) ✓
• T.R.A.G.E.D.Y. ✓
• severely freaktastic moments when you're not sure if the kids are going to EXIST or be MURDERED ✓
• the best and most beautiful title in the world ✓
• aaaamazing names (Castley, Mortimer, Hannan, Caspar, Jerusalem and Delvive) ✓
• my heart kind of breaking ✓
• excellent writing ✓
• MY HEART KIND OF BREAKING ✓

Like I said, it's a bit of a cult story. Castley lives in a rundown house in the woods with her religious psycho father and her disabled/depressed mother, and her 5 siblings. Like they're all starved and abused and forced to listen to their dad's religious ravings. I thought the bok really captured the CONFUSION well. Like Castley is all "this is wrong" but at the same time "they are my family and I love them???" And like I so wanted her to GET OUT but at the same time I didn't want her to lose her precious siblings. But OH IT WAS SEVERELY TERRIFYING AT TIMES BECAUSE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN??????? ARE THEY GOING TO BE OKAY?????? Stories about abused kids are heartbreaking.

And family tho. I love family books. Even if the family is so severely messed up....but I mean, after this? Never accusing my family of being dysfunctional again. [cue nervous laughter]

I thought all the kids were really complex too! Castley narrates and generally I love secondary characters more, but I DID so love Castley!! But Mortimer and Caspar were my second favourite darlings. They were the most developed out of the rest. Jerusalem didn't speak, Hannan was a jerk, and Del didn't really have a personality which is a shame. But MORT (!!) and CASPAR (!!) and CASTLEY (!!!) just stole my heart so bad I want to build a blanket for around them and feed them warm pretzels. Like I have a seriously hard time caring about characters. But these??? THESE DARLINGS ARE MY EVERYTHING.

I need to own this book so I can hug it dammit.

Although I admit the book is NOT all flails from me. I found the ending way too rushed. It built up and built up and I WAS LITERALLY abOUT TO SCREAM and then it fizzled big time. What's that puddle on the floor? Oh that's just me being crying piteously in disappointment.

Basically: YES to this book. Despite the ending failings, I still absolutely loved it!! It was written so visually and gorgeously I just couldn't stop reading. Like I literally ate through it in a few hours and NOW I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT. The characters were adorable tragic abused vegemite scrolls and the story was addictively worrisome and now, 'scuse me, I need to go beg the universe to give me a sequel. OR 9 SEQUELS.

(Also, sidenote: the UK/AUS version is called "In The Dark, In The Woods" which is such an awfully bland name compared to THE CRESSWELL PLOT that I'm genuinely annoyed. Like seriously why didn't the publishers consult me???? I would've set them straight. NEVER title a book boringly when it can be titled THE GLORIOUS CRESSWELL PLOT.)

(I'm irrationally in love with the title. Yes. How can you tell.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cresswell Plot.

June 9, 2016 – Shelved
June 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 9, 2016 – Started Reading
September 9, 2016 –
page 114
41.91% "The UK/AUS title is "In the Dark In the Woods" AND I THINK THAT'S A FREAKISH TRAVESTY. Whyyyyy would you change such a cool title like The Cresswell Plot?!??"
September 9, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
September 9, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
September 9, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 9, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 13, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Meira (readingbooksinisrael) This sounds good but I'm also reluctant to read a book in which one of the characters names sounds to me as if they were named 'New York'. Seriously, I was in Jerusalem today. I bought an ice chocolate milk

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna this sounds so good. that title is awesome and i love the cover.

message 3: by alisha ♡ (new) - added it

alisha ♡ I can't wait to read this!

Terri M. Cait, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I agree that the ending felt rushed and a bit confusing. But the characters were amazing and the words were beautifully written!

message 5: by Zara (new) - added it

Zara I have never heard of The Cresswell Plot, but it sounds like such a great book. Thanks for adding it to my radar.

C.G. Drews @Meira: Also Jerusalem is the capital of Israel....and has been for thousands of years.

@Anna: SAME.

@Alisha: IT IS GLORIOUS.

@Terri: So true! I read an interview in the back of my copy that said the author would like to write more in this world so fingers crossed she gets to?! Eeep!

@Zara: You are most welcome! ^-^

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Oh yay I'm so glad you liked this!! It's up on my list after Stealing Snow and I've been afraid to pick this up because it has such awful reviews!

Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar) Sounds good! Definitely gonna get to it soon!

C.G. Drews @Vanessa: OMG YESSSSS. That is exactly it! No wonder I love the title so much. xD

@Jessi: Eeeep *fingers crossed* that you like it too!!

@Selena: Excellent life decision. I APPROVE.

message 11: by Meira (readingbooksinisrael) (last edited Sep 11, 2016 07:39AM) (new) - added it

Meira (readingbooksinisrael) I know the history but it's also the place where I live so it still feels a bit weird. Maybe it's because in English people will name their kids a name because it sounds cool so a city name is a name that could be. In Israel cities are named after people (eg: Zichron Yaakov, Elazar, Pardes Chana and, of course, Herzeliya).
I can see this cult father thinking that he wants to name his kid after an ancient religious city or the language spoken in that city (we're not going to even go into how many men I know named Hannan or a variation) but it still feels weird.

Morgan Totally agree about the rushed ending! Also about the blankets and needing to protect them all. <3

Karen Canfield TOTALLY agree--messed up but glorious!