A Book Vacation's Reviews > Zombies Don't Cry

Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

May 07, 2011

Wow! I. Love. This. Book. You need to drop everything and read it right now! Fischer is a very talented writer and I loved his zombie explanations! He’s taken this genre and really made it come alive (no pun intended). Most zombie books are about killing off zombies, but Fischer has created a novel in which the reader obtains an up front view of what it is like to be a zombie, and this was a very refreshing look at such a popular genre!

I feel like in movies, and books, we never really get the token “bad guy’s” side of the story; he’s/she’s just an evil character, and traditionally, that’s what zombies have always been: evil. However, Fischer has created a novel in which not all zombies are bad—there are two types: Zombies (good) and Zerkers (bad). I loved it! The fact that zombies have conscious thought is really original, and I enjoyed Maddy’s point of view and her sense of humor throughout the novel. Although she has to deal with many changes, such as becoming a zombie, finding makeup and a new look to go with her sunken in eyes and sickly looking skin, covering a hole in her head, and avoiding the Zerkers that want to eat her brains, she remains as positive as possible and even jokes about her situation. I loved Maddy’s outlook on her “new” life, which caused much snorting on my part as I read. Fischer has a wonderful sense of humor that aides his enticing plotline, and this book was, overall, just a fabulous read!

To read my full review (6/22):

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Don't Cry.

May 7, 2011 – Shelved
May 23, 2011 –
page 63
16.98% "So good."
May 23, 2011 –
page 153
41.24% "I really like this novel!"
May 24, 2011 –
page 203
54.72% "This is really good!"
May 24, 2011 –