Jiana's Reviews > Red Rising

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

liked it

Okay, so... if you're expecting a good review, you ain't getting it here. I literally have no idea how to review this book; however, I've been motivated to review books ever since 2018 started, so here we go!!

So as I've mentioned previously, this is my second try reading this book. The first time I couldn't get past the first 17 pages. But I have the greatest friends who pushed me to continue despite the fact we were all struggling while reading this at one point.

Where do I even begin? Help.

Despite my 3 star rating, I had a lot of bloodydamn issues with this book (see what I did there? Don't think I like that word... I'll be getting to it in just a sec) and I will be explaining why I settled on 3 stars.

“The measure of a man is what he does when he has power.”

Starting with the things I hated. Number one would be the writing. Dear God, the writing gave me a headache. It took me a while to actually get used to it. Brown's writing is annoyingly weird and um? Annoying. But once you get used to it, the book becomes bearable. I think his writing his a primary cause why it took me almost two weeks to get through the first 50 pages. In addition to other reasons, which I'll also be getting to. Also... the slang. God help me. THE SLANG. What in the world? Who told Pierce Brown using bloodydamn and gorydamn and I don't know what else, every two sentences is a good idea? These words (primarily bloodydamn) made my eye twitch every single time and the thought that I'm going to encounter them in the next books (if I decide on continuing that is) is causing me anxiety. Actually I blame the writing for a lot of things in this book, #1 would be my enjoyment. Also, wow the book is boring. Again, why it took me 1398 days to get past the first 50 pages. I admit it got slightly better afterwards but the book remained boring. Honest to God, it got to a point where I just wanted to be done. Number three of Jiana's endless list of things that annoy her would be the world building. Did I understand it? No. Thanks, Pierce.

“Man cannot be freed by the same injustice that enslaved it.”

But... at least Pierce Brown has a beautiful face? Right? Totally not book-related, but worth mentioning let's be real. He's my new crush, friends.

Now... things I like. I spent a good 10 minutes thinking what I really liked in this book. So, number one would be Sevro! I think Sevro's everyone's favorite and now I know why. The things he says? Oh boy, made me laugh out loud. Another thing I liked? Mustang. And Eo. And Pax. So, yeah I think the side characters are fantastic. Even the bad ones I liked. I think they're very well written. What about our MC, Darrow? I have nothing to say about him, honestly. Moving on, the plot of this book has lots of potential and I really liked it for the most part. I think it's well thought of, despite the not-so-good execution. It's brutal though, like the scenes are super brutal and descriptive. And I think I will continue the series because I do want to see where the series is headed and simply because everyone says the series becomes fantastic. Plus, I want the covers on my shelf.. And so, this marks the good things in the book and this is why I settled for 3 stars. Despite all its problems, I don't think it's a bad book. Just a debut with problems that can be easily fixed and bettered in the next ones! I'm looking forward!

Sooooo, there you have it! I really, really, really, hope the next books blow me away.

Buddy read with Baby Bee & The Bane of my Existence. ♥

____________________________________

UPDATE 29/12/2017: lmao after a year on hold, I'm back to this book and I'm giving it a second chance. Why? BECAUSE MY BABY BEE IS FINALLY BACK so naturally this calls for a BR with her. I'm determined to finish it this time!

UPDATE 06/01/2017: I'm putting this on hold for now. It's been four days since I started it and I've only read 17 pages to be exact. I can't seem to be in the mood to pick it up and when I do, I read two sentences tops and close it. Also, I've managed to read two other books in the meantime. I'll pick it up again someday when I'm in the mood for it.

Buddy reading with the moose crew: Cait, Amba, Em, Maymay, and Jenn

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Rising.

June 9, 2016 – Shelved
June 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2017 – Shelved as: on-hold
December 29, 2017 – Started Reading
January 10, 2018 –
page 53
13.87% "it took me 12 days to finish part one but i finally did it"
January 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

ambsreads i like how we are the moose crew now omg

Jiana Amber wrote: "i like how we are the moose crew now omg"

and you are moose sr.

Caitlin Who dat big boy moose secretary

Jiana Caitlin wrote: "Who dat big boy moose secretary"

it is you, the secretary

Jiana Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Hope you enjoy it! :D"

thank you, Jessica!!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ What page are you on?

Jiana page 12 lmao

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ *screeeeech* DAMNIT GUYS!!! WTH!?!?!?

Nicole My friend is also "reading" it and just like you, she's having a hard time :/ I'm kinda regretting buying this book since i don't do that so often. I guess we'll found out soon

Jiana Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "*screeeeech* DAMNIT GUYS!!! WTH!?!?!?"

i'm just not feeling it now :( at least it's not a dnf though

Jiana Nicole wrote: "My friend is also "reading" it and just like you, she's having a hard time :/ I'm kinda regretting buying this book since i don't do that so often. I guess we'll found out soon"

yep, it's probably me though, i'm not really feeling it. :/ well, you may end up liking it! i hope you do!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Jiana wrote: "i'm just not feeling it now :( at least it's not a dnf though"

Well that's good. I think all of you would hear my screeching if it was. haha

amy ☂︎ has this been on hold for 1 1/2 years JIA

Jiana amy ⚓ wrote: "has this been on hold for 1 1/2 years JIA"

WHY ARE YOU EXPOSING ME DON'T BRING THIS BACK

amy ☂︎ Liked, shared on my facebook page, emailed it to friends

Jiana amy ⚓ wrote: "Liked, shared on my facebook page, emailed it to friends"

oh my god is this payback for the emirates airlines thing last night AMY

amy ☂︎ yes..................... karma

amy ☂︎ also let's br red rising lmao what a crazy idea

Jiana amy wrote: "yes..................... karma"

i feel attacked

Jiana amy wrote: "also let's br red rising lmao what a crazy idea"

i'm literally so tempted you don't even understand

amy ☂︎ i love you so much you crazy bastard

Jiana amy wrote: "i love you so much you crazy bastard"

i love you so much more

amy ☂︎ """""""""""a year""""""""""""" ok liar

Jiana amy wrote: """"""""""""a year""""""""""""" ok liar"

IT'S TRUE I STARTED IT JAN 1ST 2017 AND STOPPED AFTER LIKE 10 DAYS????

Jiana amy wrote: """"""""""""a year""""""""""""" ok liar"

JUNE 9 2016 IS THE DAY I ADDED THE BOOK TO MY SHELF AMY

amy ☂︎ .............................. this is awkward

Jiana amy wrote: "bye"

amy wrote: ".............................. this is awkward"

i'm in tears you're so cute i'm going to send you a selfie on snapchat ok ♥

amy ☂︎ I AM SO OK WITH THAT

may ❀ ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE READATHON OR NOT PLZ ANSWER

Jiana maybelline™ wrote: "ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE READATHON OR NOT PLZ ANSWER"

i am not because it's impossible for me to binge this

amy ☂︎ jia you need to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. and also get past the first 50 or so pages i promise it gets better

amy ☂︎ maybelline™ wrote: "ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE READATHON OR NOT PLZ ANSWER"

the answer is yes but i‘m also in for unearthed if u are

Jiana amy wrote: "jia you need to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. and also get past the first 50 or so pages i promise it gets better"

i will but i'm forcing myself through crown of wishes

may ❀ amy wrote: "maybelline™ wrote: "ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE READATHON OR NOT PLZ ANSWER"

the answer is yes but i‘m also in for unearthed if u are"

ofc you loser we already agreed

amy ☂︎ Jiana wrote: "amy wrote: "jia you need to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. and also get past the first 50 or so pages i promise it gets better"

i will but i'm forcing myself through crown of wishes"

a woman of her word

amy ☂︎ maybelline™ wrote: "amy wrote: "maybelline™ wrote: "ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE READATHON OR NOT PLZ ANSWER"

the answer is yes but i‘m also in for unearthed if u are"

ofc you loser we already agreed"

WHEN DID WE AGREE

amy ☂︎ pretty good rating considering you didn’t want to continue this series as of 10 mins ago hmmmmm

message 40: by Zain (new) - added it

Zain Otoom 12 days to read part one, but one day to read the rest of the book? It must have done something right, right?

amy ☂︎ Zain wrote: "12 days to read part one, but one day to read the rest of the book? It must have done something right, right?"

great point

explain this jia

may ❀ me, me, me, me

Jiana amy wrote: "pretty good rating considering you didn’t want to continue this series as of 10 mins ago hmmmmm"

a 3 star rating is a confused rating SO IT MEANS NOTHING REGARDING WHETHER OR NOT I WANT TO CONTINUE

Jiana Zain wrote: "12 days to read part one, but one day to read the rest of the book? It must have done something right, right?"

well for starters it did get better, plus i was so fed up i wanted to be done lmao

Jiana amy wrote: "Zain wrote: "12 days to read part one, but one day to read the rest of the book? It must have done something right, right?"

great point

explain this jia"

why am i being exposed

Jiana maybelline™ wrote: "me, me, me, me"

very tough review

may ❀ lets just not review it

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ THERE BETTER BE REVIEWS DAMNIT.

amy ☂︎ what jennymort said

Jiana maybelline™ wrote: "lets just not review it"

2018 is the year of reviewing