Nikki 's Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

May 07, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, children-s-and-ya
Read in August, 2011

I got most of the way through this, and then found that I just didn't care. I didn't care about the characters, the plot moved in fits and starts, the romance/tension/whatever it was supposed to be, with Kartik, just felt pasted on... In conclusion, I basically ran out of give-a-damn.

The writing is competent, in that it's all easy enough to read and understand, but given that the main character's voice wasn't convincing, even though she's the narrator, and the pacing felt jerky, the characters unsympathetic, etc, etc, I can't find myself recommending it. It wasn't completely terrible for me to read -- I didn't want to throw it across the room -- but honestly, I couldn't see where people get four and five star ratings for it from. I won't be reading anything else by Libba Bray any time soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.

message 1: by Blair (new)

Blair Thanks for helping me make up my mind about reading this! I've had it for a while and like the idea of the premise, but I've always been put off by the YA angle and the idea that it would all be a bit, well, Twilight-y.

Nikki The bits I liked about the premise didn't actually really get dealt with at all by about 75% of the way through the book. It was a bit ridiculous.

Sandra "I basically ran out of give-a-damn."

That's exactly where I'm at, I'm having a hard time getting through it.

Elli I loved this book soo much! It was gorgeously written and kept me engaged the whole way through

Nikki Good for you.

SculderLover Another one here who loves it!

Nikki Good for you also...

message 8: by l. (new)

l. i was about to listen to the audiobook! vaguely remembered that i didn't care for it when i first read it years ago & reading your review... i'll give it a miss then.

Clare K. R. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really frustrated by this book! I must have liked something about it (the writing, probably) since I gave it three stars, but 5 years on, all I remember about it is the plot, which annoyed me so much I wrote an entire trilogy in an attempt to turn it on its head.