Anno Nomius's Reviews > Orange Is the New Black

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

I think I changed or at least my perception as I read this book. Initially my opinion of the author was seriously you made these choices! You technically become an adult at 18, the moment you enter college but do you really and when do you stop making mistakes in your live, perhaps never. You could make a serious mistake like the author did and land up where the author did but man this place is not pretty. If nothing else read the book to know what you should not do to land up in prison.

There were a lot of thoughts going through my mind as I finished the book. You would think that for non-violent crimes you would be treated with dignity and respect but that is not a given. I was more amazed at how the prison system works and the bottom-line is sending someone to prison isn't necessarily a root cause fix. I think for non violent crimes community service is the best option perhaps even for all crimes. What is the purpose of the justice system, to address the real root cause or the perceived root cause i.e remove the person from society & the associated sham ? The bonding amongst the inmates in prison was incredible and I found myself getting a lump in the throat reading many such occasions at different phases of the authors prison sentence.

Excellent book. Read it. It will change the way you think, at least it did for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange Is the New Black.

June 8, 2016 – Started Reading
June 8, 2016 – Shelved
June 8, 2016 –
page 150
50.34% "picked up this book recently and finding it an interesting read. My initial take was can this happen to a normal person and then the realization that it can. Anyone could land up in prison. I like the Author candid style of writing. Some of the numbers quoted on how many non serious drug offenders versus serious criminals (murderers etc) are in prison was an eye-opener. Liking the first hand account."
June 9, 2016 –
page 180
60.4% "stories continues to be interesting. Definitely an eye opener. If this is the state of prison in America what about the rest of the world. Life surely sucks for someone born poor and born in a bad neighborhood where your only job would be drug related . I found myself thinking is there little Afghanistans in the USA where people are peddling drugs."
June 9, 2016 –
page 180
60.4% "story continues to be interesting. Definitely an eye opener. If this is the state of prison in America what about the rest of the world. Life surely sucks for someone born poor and born in a bad neighborhood where your only job would be drug related . I found myself thinking is there little Afghanistans in the USA where people are peddling drugs."
June 13, 2016 –