T's Reviews > They Move Below: & Other Dark Tales

They Move Below by Karl Drinkwater

bookshelves: scary, favorite-authors, gratis, 2014-2017-reads

Karl Drinkwater scares me. And I mean that in the best way possible.

I was first introduced to his work, courtesy of his book 'Turner', and even found myself re-reading that not too long ago. That's saying a lot as I usually don't re-read horror books. 'Turner' didn't lose it's zing upon a re-read and neither does this, his latest work.

Yes, it's true. I ended up re-read a couple of the stories included in this compilation because they are just that well written. I found myself being creeped out the most by, ironically enough, 'Creeping Jesus'. In fact, I still find myself thinking about it almost a week after having read that particular short story. Only a few pages but, for me, it hit something in that un-evolved reptilian level of my brain and hit it hard.

Some of the stories are gory while others are much more cerebral (or, reptilian in my case). Almost all deserve a 2nd reading because they're so nuanced that you miss out on certain points that are picked up on the repeat reading.

Kudos to Karl! He has another winner in this title and no matter how times you read (or re-read!) this book, keep the lights on.

*I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the author. Many, many thanks!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Move Below.

June 8, 2016 – Shelved
June 21, 2016 – Started Reading
June 21, 2016 –
page 15
June 21, 2016 –
page 15
5.02% "On short story titled They Move Below."
June 23, 2016 –