Ashelynn's Reviews > Slide

Slide by Jill Hathaway

May 06, 2011

liked it
Read from February 25 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

this review is also posted on Gypsy Book Reviews!

disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review.

Slide has an interesting premise; I love that Vee is able to slide into other people’s bodies, and then when she slides into a killer’s body… dun dun dun. However, the execution behind the premise makes for a very predictable read.

I liked Vee as a character. Her voice pulled me in right away and hooked me. However, as I read, the book sort of fell apart. Vee doesn’t pick up on everything until the entire picture is pulled up, which annoyed me, a lot actually, because I figured out all the twists waaay before they came to light.

The mystery is a bit clichéd and predictable. While I understand the killer’s motivation, I didn’t QUITE get it. REALLY? You’re destroying peoples’ lives over THAT? The secondary characters were a little blah, and seemed more 2D than 3D. The high schoolers sounded like high schoolers, but I didn’t like Maddie and Amber at all—especially for what they were doing to Sophie. It annoyed me immensely. If you’re friends with somebody, you don’t try to ruin them because they like a guy you like.

I think readers are supposed to like Rollins, but I didn’t. I hated his very being. We never really know why he was pulling away from Vee… and it was SO OBVIOUS he’s in love with Vee (of course! In YA, there’s always the best friend who is in love with the main character.)

But I’m SO TORN over this book. It hooked me right away and I read it all the way through in the same day. It was an emotional rollercoaster of liking it and being disappointed. I think what really did it in for me was the ending. I just didn’t LIKE the motivation behind the killer.

I will be reading the sequel, because that has a premise I’m just so freaking curious about. I wonder how Hathaway will execute it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slide.

02/25/2012 page 86
34.0% "liking so far! trying to figure out who killed Sophie."
02/26/2012 page 151
59.0% "NO!"

Aleeeeeza a few makeout scenes and hanging out does not make a boyfriend or love.

WORDDD.

Ashelynn Did it bother you a lot when (view spoiler) (btw, anybody reading this post and haven't read Slide, that is actually a real spoiler. So no clicky.)

Aleeeeeza Ashelynn wrote: "Did it bother you a lot when [spoilers removed] (btw, anybody reading this post and haven't read Slide, that is actually a real spoiler. So no clicky.)"

LOL. yeah, it was pretty dumb. i mean, COME ON. also, i hated pretty much every single secondary character. they just all grated on me so much. and amber and mattie--i wanted to killlll them.

Ashelynn oh my goddd, me too. Especially what they were doing to Sophie. and then Mattie gets SO UPSET over Sophie's death and it's like "You seemed not to like her that much?"

I couldn't even muster up anything for Rollins. He was just... no. JUST NO.

Aleeeeeza and the mystery was quite insanely obvious. even an oblivious idiot like me was able to figure it out :D

Ashelynn haha. It was so obvious. Sigh. Such a shame, I thought it was going to be SO GOOD. I love the sliding idea.

Aleeeeeza me too! but the execution...yeah. rollins was definitely blah. i think mattie was just a kiddo who wanted to be popular, so went ahead and did the shit that amber dragged her into. but i never felt like she was really that great a person anyway. i guess the whole characterization on a whole fell extremely flat. and since the plot itself, the mystery especially, was also lackluster, it made for a very lame book. and there's going to be a sequel to it! oh boy. i really don't think this book needs one. :|

Ashelynn Yup, definitely agree. I thought it was a standalone and was SO EXCITED because that would count toward my standalone challenge and then BOOM. no. no sequel. however, the sequel sounds interesting (killer slides in Vee. whoa.) that I'll probably read it. I'm a sucker like that.

Aleeeeeza Ashelynn wrote: "Yup, definitely agree. I thought it was a standalone and was SO EXCITED because that would count toward my standalone challenge and then BOOM. no. no sequel. however, the sequel sounds interesting ..."

i'm the total opposite. if i don't dig the first there's NO WAY i'll read the next. i only read sequels for books i adore. my tbr pile is unmanageable as it is!

Ashelynn if only I was smart like that, haha! I totally requested Allegiance on netgalley, and since Harlequin has me on auto-approved, I got it right away. I hated the first book. I don't know WHY I requested the second, but last night I opened my galley and read like a page (I was on page 25) before saying screw it and deleted it. I just couldn't suffer.

but I enjoyed Slide a lot more than you did, I'm guessing from your rating. So that's why I'm going to read the sequel.

Aleeeeeza Ashelynn wrote: "if only I was smart like that, haha! I totally requested Allegiance on netgalley, and since Harlequin has me on auto-approved, I got it right away. I hated the first book. I don't know WHY I reques..."

these days i get SO annoyed when i read meh books. ALL THAT TIME WASTED ARRRG. i mean, on one hand a certain amount of bad books is good, b/c as a writer you get to see what NOT to do. but then there's the whole time issue, sooo, yeah. and some time in the last year i became this insanely difficult to please reader, prolly cause i read so many effing books and only a few really ended up being good. also, i did not even read the 1st kayla cluver book. all those bad reviews--*shudder*. in fact, if most reviews indicate a book is average i generally avoid tose too. exceptions include: author of book is a fave; premise is too awesome to give up; i have some strange feeling i will like the book even if other don't.

wow. ramble much?! :D