Wesley Thomas's Reviews > They Move Below

They Move Below by Karl Drinkwater

Well, could a horror collection get any more diverse?
Not just in the content but in the presentation!

A superb collection of chills, thrills, and mind-f*cks!

There are plenty of great stories in this bunch, but my favourites are a story told through two separate police interviews, and the haunted museum. These two for me were incredible. The police interviews were unnervingly realistic, making it all the scarier! The characters were also realistic. In fact, I thought of people I used to know many years ago when I was in school that were very similar to the characters in that particular story.

Of course, all the stories were sensationally horror-ific, but everyone has their faves. I also adore Karl's writing, that seems to adapt to the needs and demands of the given story. A short story collection is often a hit or miss concept for many authors. Some writers just cannot grasp that a story, characters, and purpose have to be delivered in a matter of a few pages. Karl takes this challenge and proves he can master short stories with the best of them! I have read one novel from this author (which was spectacular) but these short stories show just how talented and versatile he is.

As I mentioned before, we have a mixture of presentation, ranging from interviews and other literary techniques which only added to the overall brilliance of the collection. We even have a tale told through an online chat conversation. That was also one of my faves!

So, I suggest, if you like horror, suspense, thriller, mystery, or all of the above, grab a copy now! And at a lengthy 398 pages, Karl has been rather generous. Normally author will only invest so much of their time in short story collections. Page count usually ranges from as low as 50 pages to 100. So Karl is really spoiling us not only with the quantity but quality as well. As an author of four horror collections myself, I know how challenging devising original content for short stories can be. As well as getting an entire story across in a matter of pages. So I have heaps of respect for Karl as both a writer and reader!

Bounce from horror to horror, soak up multiple forms of evil, and have yourself a genuinely memorable reading experience! I read most of these tales on my back porch in the sun and still managed to become on edge and even scared. Well done Mr Drinkwater!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Move Below.

June 8, 2016 – Started Reading