Sara's Reviews > Time and Time Again

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton

liked it

This one was only a fairly middle of the road read for me.

While I liked Hugh a lot and the novel's premise, and I found the two main female characters in this book to be be poorly developed, which is a pet peeve of mine in books.

Professor Cluskey seemed to be the stereotypical cold and calculating female academic who doesn't have any children. This is a fairly common trope in books. I don't think that writing her in this manner was necessary to the plot. I'm also curious as to whether folks felt like the deliberate killing of Hugh's family was really necessary.

Bernadette (before she betrays Hugh to the authorities) on the other hand seems a bit too good to be true.

I did like that Hugh came from a different version of the 20th century than our own.

On the other hand, the plot at the end of the book with all its different versions of history got a bit convoluted. Time travel novels have a tendency in my experience to get that way, if not extremely well done. Margo compared it to 11/22/63, but I think Stephen King pulls it off better.

This was a quick fun read, but I didn't find it as good as many folks in my book group did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time and Time Again.

June 7, 2016 – Shelved