Bec's Reviews > Between the Bleeding Willows

Between the Bleeding Willows by D.A. Roach

19759762

did not like it
bookshelves: arcs, angels-and-or-demons, fantasy, i-see-dead-people, light-entertainment, just-don-t-bother, ya

I was provided an review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Between the Bleeding Willows is about a young girl named Cassidy who had her boyfriend and grandmother die in her senior year of high school; her grandmother was her only family. Cassidy later thinks she sees her dead boyfriend while looking for a family trinket and stumbles into a realm of demon hunters. Killian runs a clan of demon hunters who are in a spot of bad luck; they find themselves at a disadvantage to the demons and this threatens the human realm. Killian cannot figure out how Cassidy stumbled into their realm or how she survived it.

Ok what I liked about the book was the first 25%. There is a lot of emotion and grief in the first part of the book and it seems very authentic; so authentic I wonder if the author has firsthand experience with this type of situation. The tragic circumstance stance that Cassidy is embroiled in at such a young age is heart wrenching and very well done.

What I didn’t like was after the first quarter of the book the plot slows down and we cover some events that didn’t seem necessary to the story. We have a couple of character introductions that were obvious red shirts and died fairly quickly; I didn’t know enough about them to really care what happened to them. Some of the story through this middle section I just didn’t find believable. A group of people whose whole purpose is to fight bad things is unlikely to say a tunnel they have used for a very long time that is connect directly to their strong hole is now just too dangerous to use and just close it off. I think it would be more believable that they would clean out the nasty things that tried to move in and keep it cleared out. Lastly at 40% of the book we have insta love. Frankly Cassidy and Killian have hardy spoken to each other and when they have it’s been mostly in an investigative interview type manor. There is absolutely nothing there for Killian to have any sort of attachment to Cassidy let alone love her.

I feel that Between the Bleeding Willows needs another round of major editing. I have found many grammar and formatting errors throughout the book. There are sentences where it looks like part of something didn’t get deleted and it makes no sense. I find forgotten words or forgotten letters throughout and there is also whole section where there is tons of line breaks after either every sentence or mid-sentence on the Kindle version.

Over all I think the concept had a lot of potential and the first part of the book is great but after that the story and writing really didn’t live up to what it could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Bleeding Willows.

June 7, 2016 – Started Reading