Badz (Abandoned Marionette)'s Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

May 06, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own

Wouldn't it be great if you are remembered by people for something big even if it's been a while since you've left this universe? How amazing would it be if you matter so much in this world because of your works?

That is exactly what Collin Singleton aims to achieve in life. To be someone, to be remembered, to matter. Our protagonist is a child prodigy. A whiz kid, intelligent enough but not yet a genius. Collin is the typical smartypants, being brought up by parents who greatly supports his intellectual talents. He is an anagram-geek, a bookworm, and a teenager thirsty for more knowledge. But there is a unique quirk about Collin. He has been dumped by nineteen girls, all named Katherine. Due to this number, he embarks on a quest to find the solution to his problem of love.

Together with, Hassan, the hilarious, happy-go-lucky Muslim friend, they took an adventurous road trip going wherever, after the nineteenth Katherine dumped Collin. Along the way, he tries so hard to create and perfect his Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability in order to somehow find a formula for love. This, he thinks, will be the perfect way for him to be remembered and be famous throughout the world. A formula that can predict how relationships would go and how long they will last. As their trip brought them to Gutshot, Tennessee, Collin will soon encounter a lot of things, variables, that would greatly affect his Theorem and might turn it all around.

This book is the second John Green book I have read. Like Looking For Alaska, each of his characters are unique, each with quirky, weird but lovable personality. At the beginning, I wasn't so much into Collin's character since his intelligence and nonstop blubbering irritates me. It's like I want to just shut him up for he doesn't know when to stop, and when his topics become not interesting anymore. And there goes Hassan's character, who balances the geeky, nerdy role of Collin with an ample amount of humor. He's like the perfect sidekick/buddy since he knows how to deal with his best friend.

As the story goes, I was engulfed in a mathematical quest, which I admit, bored me. When Collin ponders on his Theorem, he explains it using variables, graphs and other curves. Yes, there are drawings of his graphs and equations in the book. Plus there were funny footnotes that gives us a bit of an explanation on what Collin is talking about. As a math geek myself, it was an interesting find. But for someone who don't actually like math, these parts would seem to be draggy and slow. There might be a point where you don't get what the equation is saying. But then when you get past them and got to the good parts, where you learn about certain secrets and revelations about each of the characters, you'll love it.

Yes, John Green knows how to keep the better side of his character, ready to expose it at the right time. It's like you cannot fully love or fully hate his characters. They have a bit of a good and bad in each of them. This particular books is a great story about friendship, love, and finding your true self, no matter how different you are from others. The story shows us that life can be a whole sack of lemons, but at some point, it turns and give us pure joy if only we know how to look for it. It is a good read and it would really teach us that it's perfectly fun to just be yourself.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.