Lisa (lifeinlit)'s Reviews > The Secret to Letting Go

The Secret to Letting Go by Katherine Fleet

3.5 stars!

The Secret to Letting Go is the story of Clover, a lost and suffering teenager, who finds herself in the company of Daniel Hudson, a local with his own demons to fight. It is immediately obvious to the reader that Clove is hiding something. It’s also quite apparent that she’s very different from others her age. She’s very out-of-the-loop when it comes to real life. She has been extremely sheltered and lived a life very different from others. I really appreciated the mystery elements to this story. The way we have to read on while the details slowly unravel to finally reveal what has affected Clover so deeply. The anticipation was a very good form of torture.

I also really liked Daniel, though I didn’t connect with him quite as much as I’d have liked. He was also suffering quite a bit after the loss of his exgirlfriend, which he, sadly, blamed himself for. All too often people blame themselves for things they had no control over. I could have done this. I wish I had done that. I think we’ve all been there a time or two. But David’s suffering caused him to hold back when it came to his emotions. He became closed off a bit and unwilling to get to know people on a deeper level.

“Like the woods back in Virginia, his eyes changed color with his mood—greener when he laughed and darker, like now, when he was angry or worried. They were kind, serious, intelligent eyes that crinkled in the corners when he smiled.”

The connection between Clover and Daniel was so sweet. As friends, both walking on thin ice, they were so hesitant to give their all to this friendship. These two went through so much, and together they were able to learn how to handle the life they were given, despite the troubles they suffered from the past.

“He was so close his breath touched my cheek. Staring into his eyes, I could almost forget about the nightmare.”

The Secret to Letting Go has a strong emphasis on friendship, family and forgiveness. The way these families came together, despite their pasts, was very sweet and made my heart happy. I also loved the amount of support and encouragement these families gave to each other. I especially appreciated Daniel’s mother, the way Daniel spoke to her, and the mother/son connection these two had. Clover’s family from her childhood wasn’t the best, though her mother appeared to always put her first and want only the very best for her daughter.

“…even if you buried yourself in guilt, you can’t go back and change what happened.”

I don’t want to go into any major details of this story, as I think it’s better left on the mysterious side. This is one you’ll want to experience for yourself. With that being said, I’m such a huge fan of contemporary books and I’m always looking for new authors in the genre. Having the bit of suspense/mystery involved in this story added such a nice touch. This is the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy day and get completely lost among its pages. Katherine Fleet is an author to keep our eye on, that’s for sure. I’m eager to see what she comes out with next.

(Thanks to Entangled Teen for the review copy!)

Find this review and others like it at Lost in Literature!

lostinlit

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret to Letting Go.

Finished Reading
June 3, 2016 –
25.0% (Other Paperback Edition)
June 7, 2016 – Shelved