Erin's Reviews > I Stop Somewhere

I Stop Somewhere by T.E. Carter

bookshelves: electric-18s

Oh man...THIS BOOK!!!

It does so many things startlingly well -- so well that the author makes them look easy. As a writer, I can assure you they are not. I'm not going to list all of them here because this review would turn into a tome of praise, but I want to talk about at least a few.

First (and this is going to be the thing many reviewers focus on), this book captures the devastating effects of rape culture and the insidious hold it can have over a small town. And it does so in a way that is both wholly realistic and believable, and also beyond horrifying. Really think about that for a sec. In part, it speaks deeply to the real-life pervasiveness of rape culture, which is why we NEED books like this one. But it also speaks deeply to the incredible balancing act the author pulls off here. Anyone can write about something horrific. But it takes a special kind of talent to write about something horrific with an eye that is both compassionate and unflinching. To employ vivid details that make a reader realize the horrific things being depicted can (and do) happen anywhere and everywhere, all the time, to girls who are not fictional. And to provide just enough light that reading this makes you want to DO SOMETHING instead of just curl into a ball and hide yourself away for all of eternity.

The book also captures Ellie's deep and complex need to both blend in and be noticed in a way that blows my mind. Lots of YA writers (myself included) have tried to capture this quintessential teenage hunger and I've never seen it done as well as it is here. Even when Ellie is looking back and chiding herself for a series of errors that shouldn't have been but turned out to be fatal, as a reader you go, "Oh, but I get it! I get why!" Because Ellie's emotions and motivations in this book aren't just static things sitting on the page. They pull you in and, if you're an adult, they will put you right back in that teenage headspace. They'll put you right next to Ellie as she tries to navigate a toxic little world that couldn't care less about her well being until it's far too late.

Highly recommended for fans of dark YA with characters and relationships drawn in loving, painstaking detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Stop Somewhere.

June 7, 2016 – Shelved