LenaLena's Reviews > The Interludes

The Interludes by Santino Hassell

May 06, 2011

bookshelves: mm, action, science-fiction, kindle-lendable, free-reads
Read from May 06 to 08, 2011

While still being completely and totally addictive, this one wasn't as harrowing and gut wrenching as Afterimage, mainly because instead of watching the MCs crash in slow motion, we see them crawling back out of the hole they dug. Yay! And because that happens with some gaps between the separate stories, it's not as hard on your blood pressure. Which is probably a good thing, since I am not sure I could have handled the carnage of another Afterimage.

This series is so much more than your standard m/m fiction. While the main couple takes center stage, like they should, they have a supporting cast of characters who are unbelievably 3D and distinct. There are quite a few of them too (causing the occasional 'who the f*ck is this guy again?' moment, but not so often that it's bothersome). The World Building is very well done, not going into ridiculous info dumps, but providing a very clear setting none the less. And while these may be the most introspective people I have ever read about, that only occasionally seems to get annoying (like at the end of Evenfall). I'm sure it helps with getting so invested in Hsin and Boyd and at least we fully comprehend why they act as stupid as they do, when they act stupid. The story is complex, and fascinating, and has quite a few surprising turns.

This quote from Lois McMaster Bujold came to mind several times:
"The rule for finding plots for character-centered novels, which is to ask: 'So what's the worst possible thing I can do to *this* guy?' And then do it."

So Interludes leaves us with a few cliff hangers. I have been warned not to start Fade yet, because apparently that goes right back into trainwreck territory and it's far from done, but man, am I tempted!

4.5 stars, because, apparently I am a sucker for punishment and I liked Afterimage just a tad more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Interludes.

05/06/2011
6.0% "Kassian, I am losing my patience with you. I may need to have Sara break your arm. She can bitch-slap Boyd while she's at it." 7 comments
05/06/2011
20.0% "*groan* Boyd, for the love of God, can you stop f*cking Kassian now?" 20 comments
05/07/2011
39.0% "I would prefer it if I were just allowed to hate Ivan." 64 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the Bujold quote! Very apt.

Afterimage was a superb showing of how a relationships that all of us (not only Boyd and Hsin) wanted oh so hard to succeed was really dangerously dysfunctional. I remember thinking "Oh wow!" when I finally figured out how cleverly the authors managed that.

Interludes got me re-centered. And it's a clever little emotional pick-me-up before dashing your brains out in Fade.

LenaLena Yeah, but you know what I realized at the end of Interludes? That that was enough happy for me and I was ready for some more carnage. How sick am I?

That is one of my favorite Bujold quotes. Lord knows she's pretty tough on Miles too....

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Want carnage?? Well by all means go for Fade then. *laughs quietly to herself*

The Vorkosigan saga is my all time favorite series...except the last two books which were pretty meh. I wanted her to write an Ivan story. Miles is grown up and done. Although, the 5 drabbles at the end of CryoBurn were pretty damn good.

LenaLena Oh yes! The Vorkosigan saga is brilliant. The drabbles were the best part of Cryoburn. It made me want a book about Miles post-Aral, but probably not going to happen. I believe she wrote a few chapters of an Ivan book (I read them, they were somewhere online) but got stuck. Don't know where she is going to go from here.

Sarasaya Oh, you! You did it!!!!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you ready to move on to Fade? It's not at all safe yet and the horrendous evil Sonny & Ais committed in the first chapter isn't fixed, but after reading chapter 9, I'm not 100% convinced they're going to fix it, either. >:(

They posted chapters 6-9 today instead of 6-12. Things are getting tangled...

LenaLena When are we getting 10-12?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

On the website sidebar Sonny says he thinks they'll be posted next weekend. I'm guessing Ais does the actual posting and the website stuff.

LenaLena I guess I can wait one more week, so you can guard my little heart.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

*off to go rant with the only other person I know who is reading it*

LenaLena Oooooooh, what a sneaky way to get me to read it!

Sarasaya *gasp*
Kate, you're evil!
lol

Yoshi Sarasaya wrote: "*gasp*
Kate, you're evil!
lol"

Sara, what should we do? Should we read it together? Do you prefer to wait until the whole book is posted? Oh.... I am so lost......

message 14: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Not only do I want to wait till the whole thing is available, I want someone to assure me that it has the ending that I need as well. Wimpy, much?

Sarasaya Yoshi, I'm with Deb in this, I need the whole book.
I'm still writhing on the ground because of "Captive Prince", another WIP would be fatal.

message 16: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Now why did you have to go and remind me of the Captive Prince?!

Sarasaya I'm so sorry...I understand, for me it's a fresh wound.

message 18: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Have you tried the Last Pure Human? It's fun, and finished.

Sarasaya Yes, I did, very funny but... it's not finished! There will be other chapters!

message 20: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Not finished! I was sure that was it. Thanks for letting me know. WIP are very frustrating.

Sarasaya The last chapter leaves us in a fluffy world, so I didn't suffer when I read it.
BUT! I hate WIP. *grumbles, mutters*

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Fade is MUCH worse than Captive Prince because something really awful happens in the first chapter and the writers aren't fixing it (yet). So yeah, I'm pretty much in "I want to kill them" mode, with a little smidgeon of "I wonder if they're really going THAT way with the plot" and wondering what I think about all that.

I need to find Deanna so I can rant and bitch with someone in the same boat. *grumbles at Marleen who is playing coy*

LenaLena *squeels* You guys! I am so honored to be hosting the official Fade-wimps comment thread! Where we can all be wimps together!

You know, this is starting to scream 'group read' to me!

Yoshi Kate, is it really so awful? I wanted to kill Boyd in Afterimage, do you think I will want to kill him again in Fade? If yes, I will make sure his kill will be a long and painful one.

Marleen, Group read? Yeah!!!! But, should we start now or after the whole story is posted - we may need to wait till the end of the year though.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

It is really bad. Promise. Even if you aren't a crier you will cry. If you do start it, make sure someone is around to keep you from throwing your laptop or your ereader through the window.

Sarasaya Oh. So bad, uh?
Holy cow.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. Some of it is the transition from Interludes, which lulls you into thinking things will be OK for awhile with these guys. Then Fade throws you in the deep end of an ice cold pool while you're in that stupid feel good mood.

I wonder how much of Fade is written? Somewhere on their forum or in one of the discussions Ais said they were about 1/2 way through and stuck, but that was months ago.

Yoshi Oh... it sounds really bad. I just want the story finished with Interludes: in my little world, Sin and Boyd can escape the Agency, HEA, end of story. Amen.

message 29: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL I'm such a wimp that when I say I don't want to read this alone I mean literally. I won't be able to read that first chapter without support and I'm in a different time zone from any of my friends. I want to live in Yoshi's world. HEA for all.

LenaLena You won't need to read it alone, we can read it with you. What time zone are you in?

message 31: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Eastern Standard.

LenaLena I'm in Pacific. So when you get up Sara will be there for support and when you go to bed I'll still be up. We got you covered!

message 33: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Okay. Thank you! Now I just have to load it which I'll do later today. Yoshi, are you in? We can comfort each other. Another friend just wrote in the Evenfall comments that Sonny is ill and may not finish. Do any of you know anything about that? I hope it's nothing serious for more than just selfish reasons.

Sarasaya I think I'll wait for a couple of years... Deb, I'll PM you.

Yoshi Deb, I am still struggling if I should read it now or not, I will read it with you if you like, I am 6 hours ahead of you.

Sara dear, did you change your mind?

message 36: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Yoshi, I'm going to read it because I'm weak.

Yoshi Dlee wrote: "Yoshi, I'm going to read it because I'm weak."

Should we read Fade tonight instead of one more soldier?

message 38: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Ha! I just PMed you with that same question. I think Fade since it's only 9 chapters.

LenaLena But if they'r posting 10-12 this weekend wouldn't it be better to wait for that?

Sonny just found out he has liver cancer, but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down.

Yoshi Marleen, Why don't you read with me and Deb together? I read very slow, when I finish these chapters, it may be on Wednesday
or Thursday

God Bless Sonny!

message 41: by Sarasaya (last edited Jun 14, 2011 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarasaya Uh...can't we read all together "After Midnight" before going to crush our faces against Fade? Uh? No?
Sweet merciful crap...

(Yup, I'm working on exclamations)

LenaLena I've already read After Midnight, but it may be a good idea to do that one first. I am in the middle of Melusine, so I can't jump in right this second.

Yoshi Sara, I will read After Midnight with you after I finished those chapters from Fade. Maybe Deb will join us.
Marleen, sorry that we have hijacked your threat :-)

Sarasaya Yoshi, are you really reading it?!
*looks at her with admiration*

Yoshi Yes, I have 9 chapters of Fade on my iphone and Kindle, I am good to go. Sara, why don't you read with me? We can throw bombs and kill Boyd together. (Hsin can do all stupid things but I will never hate him...:-)

LenaLena Can anyone send me the file for the 9 chapters? marleensyoga AT gmail.com

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

On its way, M.

Sarasaya Yoshi, I can't. Really. I'm just an insignificant little creature, my withered heart can't stand another WIP.

message 49: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Fade has flayed me and left my heart ripped open. Melodramatic enough?! Sara, I think I'm glad this is a work in progress because I need some time to recover. I need lots of soft, sweet fluff after this. Hopefully, even though it won't be fluffy, Lanyon will be able to provide an antidote. I pre-ordered his latest and it is here!

Susan " it's not as hard on your blood pressure. Which is probably a good thing, since I am not sure I could have handled the carnage of another Afterimage."
Yup...I feel a bit more sane after this one...thankfully. :)

« previous 1