Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > Playing the Perfect Boyfriend

Playing the Perfect Boyfriend by Julie Particka

Jun 06, 2016

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-kittyangel

Kitty's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Playing the Perfect Boyfriend was a fun but predictable story. While the Jade and Dean connection weaved an amusing and interesting story, Isak is still a little bit of a mystery. He didn’t play a prevalent role throughout the book even though he was supposed to be the third in this little game. I thought that there would have been a little more interaction with Isak working to get Jade back instead of taking a back seat to Dean and Jade.

Jade was a character. I’m not sure if interesting is the right word but I guess that’s the best that I could come up with right now. Well, the above blurb kind of says it all about her … she likes “dick” and is really unapologetic about it. She puts it right out there … she’s there for the sex and it’s one night only. Isak was one of her exceptions until he asked her to leave and go back to Sweden with him. Now, she’s in a place where she is reevaluating her life, watching all of her friends settle down, have babies and living the happily-ever-after. She’s starting to think that maybe, just maybe, she’s missing out on something. Just as she’s thinking this, Dean walks in and blows her away, in and out of bed. Then Isak walks in and the plan formulates. But, she doesn’t count on Dean making her rethink everything and having her take a real close look at where she came from, why she has the feelings she does and why she was jumping from bed to bed.

As for Dean, he has his own insecurities and they just build and build the more that he is with Jade and living this charade. As he starts to really understand that he is getting true and real feelings for her, he knows that he has to do whatever it takes to make her look at him as more than a sex toy and possibly consider him for the role of the one to spend the rest of her life with instead of Isak. So, he will show her that he can be husband material and becomes just like Isak … missionary, boring, falling asleep. But, this could back-fire if he doesn’t let her know that his heart is now mixed in along with his dick. He really doesn’t want to be her boy-toy anymore.

As I said, I thought Isak would have been a little more interactive in this story so there is not much that I can really say about him. He really does come across as boring, laid-back. I think he thought of Jade as someone to help fill his time and someone to come home to after all his traveling. He expected her to give up her career, her family and her home to live in a small town in Sweden with his family. He thought she was getting the better end of this deal … all I saw was an arrogant ass that had no concerns for what she was giving up, only what he was gaining.
So, Dean’s plan finally worked. Well, that’s after a very predictable break-up that has her running to Isak and boarding the plane to Sweden. He’s heart-broken, she’s second-guessing herself, he’s moving into her condo and she’s realizing that the best thing that ever happened to her was living in her home. I’ll give Jade kudos for the way she showed up back in his life.

Julia Patricka did a nice job of giving us a fun story. It was fresh, but you knew where the story was going. It shed light on some problems of growing up in the system and of being the product of a broken marriage. It was filled with some mind-blowing sex scenes and some romantic scene. She gave us the right mixture of sex, fun and, in the end, love.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Perfect Boyfriend.

Started Reading