David Schaafsma's Reviews > Actual Minds, Possible Worlds

Actual Minds, Possible Worlds by Jerome Bruner

bookshelves: education, theory

Accessible and lucid, psychologist Bruner's text focused on the power of narrative to imagine possible worlds. The one thing I found problematic that he later corrected in his approach to the mind is that he saw thinking as essentially divided into two categories, analytical and narrative, not an original idea, but binary, limited. My view is that narrative permeates all thinking, it is fundamental in constructing reality, and this is something he came to agree with me about, eventually. :)

For readers of fiction, Bruner saw all narrative as important to life, including fictions, in the process of imagining possible futures. Important work as part of the late seventies and eighties "narrative turn" in the disciplines worldwide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Actual Minds, Possible Worlds.

Started Reading
June 6, 1989 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2016 – Shelved
June 6, 2016 – Shelved as: education
June 6, 2016 – Shelved as: theory

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph I love reviews like this. There's a lot to be said for the short yet informative approach.

David Schaafsma Paul wrote: "I love reviews like this. There's a lot to be said for the short yet informative approach."

Damn it, I used to write these shorter reviews, Paul, and now most of mine are just longer and longer. Not better, though. Who was that Pope, who said, "I would have written a shorter letter, if I had the time."

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph That's one of those great quotes that have been attributed to half a dozen different people.